Adler Barbour Reefer and Hot water heater

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Hello everyone.  This is my first post here although I have been reading posts for a long time. :D
I have been in the market for a comfortable, not overly large, well built coastal cruiser for some time and have settled my search for a Catalina 34.  Probably a MK I depending on availability and budget.  In the San Diego market (my home port) there are few C34's available at any one time.  (Thats a good sign I think).  However, there is one available that I may be interested in but a couple of things make me nervous. :?
1.   "Adler Barber refrigeration unit never used and never charged".  Is this a show stopper if the refer has never been used or charged?  How difficult is it to perform the charging and can it be cost prohibitive?
2.  There is also a claim that the hot water heater is not proven to work.  I know from reading previous posts that the C34 has a very tight space to accommodate the hot water heater.  What are the labor and financial implications if the heater as to be replaced?
As I said, this is my first post and although  I am not a current owner of a 34, I hope to be soon.  Any helpful advice is welcomed and appreciated.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

1.   "Adler Barber refrigeration unit never used and never charged".  Is this a show stopper if the refer has never been used or charged?  How difficult is it to perform the charging and can it be cost prohibitive?

Not too bad.  If it's never been used and hasn't leaked, then all the refrigerant is still inside and it should work.  The seals are the issue and sometimes if it hasn't been used they dry up, which would leak the refrigerant.  So, the really simple thing to do is to turn the danged thing on the minute you get on the boat and see if it works.  Simple.  And repair is simple and much less expensive than buying a new one (or having just an icebox and having to add refrigeration).  This is not a problem.  If you've been lurking you've probably seen this, Refrig. Charge, by Ken Heyman: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5084.0.html

2.  There is also a claim that the hot water heater is not proven to work.  I know from reading previous posts that the C34 has a very tight space to accommodate the hot water heater.  What are the labor and financial implications if the heater as to be replaced?

HW heater replacement is simple.  The door HAS to come off.  It's a tight fit, but almost everyone with a Mark I has done it.  Buy the Seaward 6 gallon galvanized, SS is just NOT worth it.  $150 maybe for the heater, your time value is up to you, since a one armed paper hanger could do it.  Also see this about hoses to the heater, Hose Replacement to HW Heater:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.0.html Actually, the hose replacement is more important than a non-working heater.  Why?  "Cuz you could loose ALL of your engine coolant.  :!:  When or if you buy a new one, the heaters have either front or rear hose connections for the hoses from the engine.  If you read the aforementioned link you'll find that it doesn't matter as much as most people think originally, because the hoses from the engine can slide to either end of the heater pretty easily underneath the galley sole.  

After all that good news, welcome.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

swim : My Adler Barber refrig. has been working for 21 years.  I wouldn't have a Schrader valve installed until the unit wasn't cooling properly (if the unit doesn't already have one).

Look at the outside water heater condition and if it isn't rusted the reason that it probably doesn't work is probably because the heating element is burned out.  Usually a leak from the galley sink causes the outside cover of the HW heater to rust. The electrical element can be replaced.  My water heater has also been working for 21 years (both plug in 110V ac and from the engine).  
As I recall that the Seaward water heaters are made by Underwood.

Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Swim,

Regarding the water heater it could be simply the panel breaker for the heater is shot. Check to see is the push on/off breaker works. Easy to replace that.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Swiminfit,
Our boat is in San Diego but we live in Arizona. If you email me maybe we can get together the next time we're there and possibly help with some ideas. Sometimes our time is tight so no guarantees but it might be worth a try.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ted Pounds

Regardless of how good the boat looks to you make sure get and INDEPENDANT survey.  It will be money well spent.  Ask around for then names of a couple of good surveyors (not the broker or the seller) and then pick one.  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Hawk

Swim,

Ted is dead to rights about a surveyor. You absolutely must get the boat surveyed by the best guy in your town. Make it a condition on the offer.
If the broker doesn't like your surveyor because he tends to scare buyers off...then you have the right surveyor. That just means he does a thorough job and leaves you with your starting list of things to do, assuming no deal breaker problem.
Unless you are a mechanic I would get a diesal mechanic to check the engine as well.

In both cases, you must be there taking pictures and notes and ask questions. You'll be a lot more comfortable with your new boat going forward.

My surveyor was nicknamed "Dr. Doom" by the local brokers.

Hawk

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

swim : The guys are correct, get yourself a good surveyor. 
My best advice is to be there when the surveyor looks at that boat.  The survey will make more sense to you and you'll learn alot.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

horsemel

I go along with the survey.  We had a thorough survey on Blue Moon before purchasing her.  it did two things.  It scared off another buyer who made a larger offer than ours, but wanted an 18 year old boat to be like new in all respects. The second thing it did was educate us about the 34 and build our confidence that the minor issues raised in the survey could be fixed by us.  We love the 34.  Our friends and relatives don't necessarily understand our desire to spend every summer weekend on the boat.  Which is just fine buy us.

Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Lance Jones

I would not let the AB be a show stopper. Mine went Tango Uniform due to a stupid mistake on my part. However, it was eaasy to find a certified mechanic and the AB has worked fine ever since! I did add a second fridge in the form of an Engel. Love both of them.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622