Aft cabin stuff behind the wall

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I was rereading the May 2009 Technotes today at lunch.  In Mikes article about the systems behind the walls of the aft cabin I noticed for the first time the 2x6(?) boards that are between the the aft water tank and the cockpit floor.  I don't remember having them on mine, curious about their purpose.  Or maybe I'm just getting forgetful.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

Ken - I'm sure I don't have them either.

Craig

steve stoneback

I do have them on mine, 918.  They are attached to the 4X4's and cantilever aft.  They are what the propane locker sits on.  You don't notice them from looking in the stern locker because they are covered with a piece of plywood. 

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

learjetzz

I have them on mine also, #5 5 3. Thought PO had done a mod for propane tanks.

Ron Hill

I don't recall if I have them (2x 4/6s) or not. 
There is something that prevents the steering from going too far in either direction and that could be the reason they are there.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Michael Algase

I have hull # 91 and do have them.  I am pretty sure they are placed there to create protection for the half of the steering quadrant that is aft of the rudder post.  There is a post on the quadrant that stops rotation, but I am pretty sure these are farther apart than the diameter of the quadrant to protect us from dropping things into the lazarette and getting them tangled with the steering cables.  That post hits another fixed structure under the cockpit floor to constrain rotation to ~+/- 45 degrees.

Placing the propane locker there is convenient as well as functional.

Michael
Michael Algase

Tranquilizer
'86 # 91, SR, FK

Steve S.

I got'em - They support the propane locker and the butt ends act as rudder stops.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve : You just tweaked my brain. 
The 2Xs do support the propane locker box on top of them.  That's why some boat didn't have them!! -- the ones equipped with CNG (which is under the aft cabin settee) .
Ron, Apache #788

Earl Miller

a picture of #923  .....  it does have supports as well.
Earl Miller, 1989 #923 "Diamond Girl",  Gabriola Island BC

jmnpe

I think that all the boats up to the first walk thru transom had the 2x6s. Our boat has CNG and no propane locker, and the 2x6s were still there for shielding of the rear of the steering cable wheel and the rudder stops.

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728