Remove Compass for Winter Storage?

Previous topic - Next topic

sselinger

I wonder what the thinking is about removing the Ritchie compass from the boat for winter storage. I keep the boat in the Detroit area, with temps below 0 F in the winter. Last year I installed a rebuilt compass and left in on the boat. In the spring I had a ~3 inch bubble in the compass. Time to have it reworked again.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Ron Hill

Steve : I've never heard of removing the compass for winter.
If you had the Ritchie compass rebuilt by Ritchie, I'd give them a call and state the problem.  If rebuilt locally I give the rebuild shop the same call. 
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Steve...I keep my boat on the hard for our Canadian winters....I've had mine for 5 winters (already!!) and never removed it and never had a problem.  When we get our cold days...we get some - 30 and at time for 2 to 3 weeks if not more....and in Spring all comes back to life and that includes also all the electronics.
I'd follow Ron's comment and would not remove it...unless it's to send back to the cie.
Good luck
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

tommyt

I agree with Serge, you have a rebuild problem and not a weather problem. I live in the Traverse City area and have never had a problem with the compass on my and lots of other boats. I think you need to take it back to the rebuilder and have them find the problem for you.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

tonywright

After having to replace a compass on another boat one winter, I always remove mine.

It is simple and quick to do, and keeps it in pristine condition.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Bob Kuba

I had mine rebuilt by a Ritchie approved repair shop and he had some interesting insights.

He reccommended removing the compass in harsh winter climates. He explained that as the fluid got cold it would contract and form a mini vacuum in the dome and try to suck air in through the seals, causing a bubble. He also mentioned that as it warmed back up again, the fluid would expand and force the air bubble back out. But the repeated expansion and contraction will take its toll on the seals over time, and result in a rebuild.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

David Sanner

With a bubble that size in one season sounds like a poor repair job.

Perhaps you've got a seal failing or some cracks in the expansion diaphragm.

You might try repairing it yourself with mineral oil or better yet
something like this:  http://tinyurl.com/compassjuice

I read a few tricks about this online from putting everything in
the freezer before refilling to attaching some tape and string to
the diaphragm then topping off the compass, pulling on the string while
adding more fluid and finally easing the string slightly and capping the
compass as it's overflowing.

Or you could take it to a Ritchie approved repair shop and
move to warmer climate.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

sselinger

Thanks to all for your input.

Dave like your idea of the warmer climate.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047