1987 Rudder Shaft sitting low

Previous topic - Next topic

bclery

Hello! I am a brand new 1987 Catalina 34 owner.  I just bought the boat this past weekend.  The boat is in good structural condition but needs some real cleaning and maintenance catchup.  I hope you will be patient I may have a few newbie questions.

First item of business is the rudder.   I did search the forum and wiki but am still concerned.

From under the boat the rudder appears to be about 3/4" lower than it should.  I can actually pick up the rudder and lift it 3/4".  On inspection it appears that there should be a wider bushing (nylon I think) between the shaft cap (emergency tiller thing) and the seat just below it.

There is a nylon collar below the cap, but it is hard to image it was 3/4" thicker at one time.  How thick is the collar under the cap suppose to be?

Is it possible that there is some other reason?  Could the rudder itself have slid down the shaft?  Could the cap bolt hole in the shaft have elongated?  Could the seat below the cap and collar be depressed down in the fiberglass?

is this really just a nylon collar issue, because 3/4" seems like a lot.

Thanks,
Bill

Ron Hill

Bill : Let me see if I can answer your questions :

1.  I added a second nylon bushing to get rid of the vertical play in mine - 19 years ago and still working.
2.  I doubt if the rudder slid down the shaft, as the tiller cap holds it in position.
3.  You can pull the tiller cap, but I seriously doubt that the holes for the bolt have elongated. 

Hope this helps.   
Ron, Apache #788

bclery

Thanks very much Ron, that is very encouraging.

What I don't understand (what worries me) is if the nylon bushing did not wear 3/4" then where did the 3/4" play come from?  Just boat "settling" like a house?

I must say that Catalina community is half the reason I picked this boat over others.  Great shared knowledge.