Raymarine Smart pilot X-5 wheel pilot

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

Any feedback on this unit on a C34? I am thinking of getting one. Terry

Stu Jackson

Yes, http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4981.0.html  

From a search on X5.  There are many more.  Steve also followed up with some more reports if I recall correctly.  I don't recall a really full fledged analysis other than Steve's, more of the "we put it in and it works" kinda things.

I think the most telling issue with the new units is the "toy" wheel hub (Steve's report, not mine).   I wouldn't buy one.  If you like to interface, they work OK if you don't mind having an autopilot that may not work.

If you don't care to interface (and I don't), you may want to consider other brands.  One is CPT.  I've visited their "factory" in Aptos and spent some time with their folks.  www.cptautopilot.com  Sturdy, well documented, simple.  On my "next big boat purchase" list.

After that you get into the below decks units.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

I installed one this spring.  I went with RM because I got 10+ years of use out of my first generation ST 4000.  I waited over a year for the x-5 because I did not want to install the rudder position sensor the previous unit needed.  I as dissappointed at the flimsly construction of the wheel drive unit.  It works well, only time will tell if will give me the years of service the previous one did.  If I were to do it again I would have taken the time at the last boat show to investigate (hands on) the other units available before I made my decision on what to buy.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hawk

Stu,
That CPT autopilot looks interesting and very solid. I note there is a new owner of the company over the last couple of years.
I'd like to hear if anyone is currently using one with some comments.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

waterdog

Bought an X5.  Killed the drive unit within a week.   Repair has 1500 miles on it now, but leaves me no feeling of confidence.   Wouldn't buy another one.  This is nothing like my old Autohelm tiller pilot...

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Hawk

Well Steve what do you expect? Once your "Otto" figured out you were going to Mexico it started behaving.
Ps. Its raining in Vancouver, in case you were wondering.........

Hawk 
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Terry Forshier

despite a few the negartive comments about this unit i did find numerous sailboaters that are and were happy with this new X5 system. That and the fact it interfaces with my Raymarine Chartplotter and that my West Marine dealer gave me a great price Match price led me to purchase one. I have now got it on the boat installed and set up with all the interfacing. So far so good and is a LOT easier to use than the old 3000 without the belts, the drive motor and the power attachment lines all over the area. Not to mention setting up the cam everytime you take off and remove the system.
The system is not hard to set up and install but I did have help in this. Hardest part was deciding where to put the fluxgate compass and the other under deck hardware then running wires to everything. A few snags herre and there but not difficult.
I sold the old 3000 that was still in good condition this week on Ebay and subtracting that money from the price I paid for the new system took my cost way down.
I do see that the wheel ring is not overly robust and also note that the overall system is plastic polymer stuff but my sailing now is along the SW coast of Florida and we try not to go when the weather is going to kick up. Most our destinations are no longer than a day away so am comfortable that this will work fine.
I will post again if things go badly.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Terry,
I recently had a X-5 installed and at this point I am very happy with it. The first one was defective out of the box, the servo acted very jittery, it would hunt back and fourth just sitting still at the dock(no it should not do that).The replacement works just fine although it's best if I change the default response from 5 to 2 or even 1.
We recently used it on a cruise from San Diego to Oceanside to Dana Point to Catalina and the reverse trip backand I was very happy with the performance, even beating into a 15 knot headwind from Dana Point to Catalina it held a good course.
I also have the Ray Marine ST 60 package and chart plotter all mounted together on a navpod.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net