Ignition Key breakoff

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_richard

Hello, All,

I have a 1990 C34.  I'm on my second instance of the ignition key breaking off, I suspect due to the force needed to overcome the resistance when holding the key in "glow" position.  Have others had this experience?  Do other years of C34 have a different "glow" engagement method?  Does anyone have a retrofit method to overcome this issue?

Thanks!

Steve Richard
Kanalu, South Beach
650-464-6481

Stu Jackson

Steve, I recommend that you post these types of questions on the Main Message Board, here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?board=11.0.  You'd get a MUCH larger audience.  This area is for Fleet 1 material.

My '86 has two separate buttons for glow plugs and start, with a simple two position On or Off switch.  You could rewire it that way.  Or get a new key switch with less resistance, rather than continuing to break keys.  Sounds weird.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

Since the key system on a C34 only protects one from honest people, I would suggest replacing the key with:

1.  On/off switch for the ignition - turn on the engine and enables the glow plug switch

2.  Push button - only on when pushed - for the glow plugs

If one is concerned about protection, the on/off switch (#1) could be placed below deck.

just my 2 cents,  Ray

steve_richard

Thanks, Stu and Ray, I like the simple approach!