Bilge pump - new Rule with built in water & oil sensor

Previous topic - Next topic

dbpaul

Stu
Has any body tried this new Rule pump?

http://www.rule-industries.com/articles/new-rule-mate-automated-bilge-pumps/index.htm

Seems you could leave the pump on automatic, this may solve the amount of water coming back down the bilge hose and stop the recycling. I could live with a 1/2" of water in the bilge that's about the same amout I had with the old check valve that came with the boat.

paulj       :think

Lance Jones

Sounds like an interesting pump. However, how much oil/fuel in the bilge would constitute a no pump situation. I'd hate for it to be just a wee bit and allow a boat to sink because there was a slight presence of oil/fuel. If you had two additional pumps that didn't have the oil sensor, at higher levels, I have 3 pumps in Kitty's Cat, I guess that would be ok.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

joe

i have the new rule pump but have not installed yet. my old pump is attached by small bolts to the bottom of the bilge. the new one has no such bolt holes, does it just sit in the bilge? anyone done this? joe
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Stu Jackson

Paul, not that I've heard so far here.  If there are only two wires coming out of it, 'cuz the float is internal and all it needs is power, I would think the downside is you can't make it work manually, like with a standard bilge pump switch of auto, off and manual.  If that's the case, I wouldn't install one.

Paul, you wrote: "Seems you could leave the pump on automatic, this may solve the amount of water coming back down the bilge hose and stop the recycling." What makes you think that this pump is any different that the old standard ones operationally?  It's a pump with a switch, regardless of where the switch or sensor is located, so the rules of physics regarding water back flowing into the pump from a pipe or hose are not going to change.  If you don't change your hose, then nothing else will change either.

Joe,  you just have to get the strainer bottom mounted to the base of the bilge.  Usually two is enough to hold it, it ain't goin' anywhere...  Either use one of the existing bolts and a screw for the other or two new screws, they don't have to go very deep.  Interesting about you saying "bolts" -- can't figure out how that was done.  My new Rule standard pump came with a strainer that was oh so close to matching the old one, but just not exactly.  It's so annoying when the same company makes something as a replacement that's "so near, but yet so far."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Paul : The largest Rule pump that you mentioned is 1100gpm.  I'd consider that a bit small and would recommend a 1500 or better yet 2000gpm - especially if you have only one bulge pump.

As a back up to the bilge pump I've recommended (past Mainsheet articles) that you have the hose and plumbing set up so you could rapidly connect to both the shower sump pump and the raw water intake.  That way if you have a severe problem, the shower pump and the engine can both assist the bilge pump - if necessary.  It's easy to set up, out of the way, but there if you need it!!
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Terry Forshier

I bought one of these pumps when I replaced the old one that fried in a lightning strike. I returned it though because it would only start pumping when the water level was (I think, I.5 to 2") I wanted my bilge drier than that. I run my Ac a lot in the summer and it drains the collected humidity in the air into the bilge and then the bilge pumps it out. I collect quite a bit in the bilge.
I noticed that WM has a little valve and hose set up that you can connect to yout drain through a tube that some how sucks out the collected water and pumps it out the boat with the cooling water. Anyone tried this.?

Ken Krawford

Terry - I think the device you are referring to is called a Condensator.  It is made by Mermaid.  http://www.mmair.com/marine_division/accessories/mermaid_condensator
It works on the Venturi principle using the discharge water from the A/C pump.  At $200 it's a bit pricey but I didn't want my bilge wet all the time so I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and got one.  It works very well.  The only caveat is to keep the filter clean or it won't work.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B