Mast Wiring Plugs

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

We've owned Blue Moon four years now.  Just finished putting her up for the winter.  This year we had the mast removed in order to have some other work done.  This is the first we have had the mast off since owning the boat.  When I went to disconnect the wires at the base of the mast I discovered that the previous owner had wrapped all of the connections in about 2 miles of electrical tape. (ok, maybe it was just one)  The connections for the lights were just made with crimp fittings.  This meant i had to cut the wires, not something I wanted to do.  Are there plugs that can be installed on these wires that are water proof and will allow the connections to come apart without cutting wires?  What are they called, what do they look like and where can I find them?

Also, the coax fittings seemed to have some corrosion on them.  Since you can't get inside them with bronze wool how do you clean them?  I was wondering if CLR or Lime Away might work for the purpose.  Any thoughts?
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Mark : Origionally there were plug connectors on those wires.  I don't know of any "waterproof" connectors.  I just make sure that my connectors - wires for deck/steaming/anchor lights and the VHF antenna wire stay high in the bilge so they cant get wet.

I'd cut the coax and put on some new PL59(?) VHF connectors.  Hope this helps.   
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Ken Juul

I have a terminal strip for the lights/mast head wires.  It is not fastened down, wires have enough slack that it can be pushed into the space between the hull and the floor to keep it away from the bilge.  Tv antenna has an coax connecter suited for outside use, VHF has a heavy duty metal connector that screws together, reminds me of an aviation cannon plug.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Could it not be a choice?  The butt connectors when properly crimped (and/or soldered) and waterproofed offer a pretty substantial and bulletproof connection.  The plug connectors offer a simple disconnect.  Question is:  how often do you take out your mast?  The miles of electrical tape were complete overkill; I use Liquid Lectrik Tape for sealing connections.  The advantage of cutting the wiring back from the connections is that you almost assure clean, good wiring, assuming you have enough wire slack.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

horsemel

At this point there is about 5" of wire coming out of the base of the mast.  Probably will end up soldering on extensions so I have enough slack.  Then I could do something more permanent like the strip or just add new crimp fittings.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Roland Gendreau

I crimped on an extension and secured a terminal strip inside the port side salon seat compartment on the forward wall, away from the humidity of the bilge area and out of the way.  The terminal strip has enough space to accommodate all the wires from the light, instrument and radar wires.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

When in doubt with wire there is no substitute for solder and heat shrink.  It's the surest way to have the best and most water resistant connection between wires!! 
You can always cut the wires if you have to pull the mast.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

My 88 was wired with a square plug. The plug had  male &  female connectors. I ordered a new one from Catalina. The new plug had about 6" wires to splice into the old wires. The wires are color coded the same as a flat 4 plug on a trailer. So you can go to your local camper dealer, tractor supply,wal mart etc. & get a plug, fire up your solder gun & be done. Do the no moisture thing as needed.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

horsemel

Thanks all for your help and suggestions
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

waterdog

If you ever pull a mast and replace wiring, it may be worthwhile to leave them long and run them straight back to the panel without connectors.   Who needs an unreliable failure point in the bilge?    I did this with my VHF antenna.  Next time the mast comes out, I will cut the cable and add connectors.  I have the connectors aboard and a loop of slack.    In the meantime, it's a straight shot to the antenna and one less thing to worry about.  It's a bigger consideration for RF than dc - I didn't bother with my mast light wiring.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat