Approximate cost to replace my Dodger in Chesapeake Bay area

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

Hello All:

My old dodger has seen her last days and must be replaced before next season. I don't intend to change the frame or anything and the Bimini and connector are relatively new, so I'll leave them as they are. Any speculation as to the approximate cost of a quality replacement?

Also - Can I just remove the old one, or does some poor soul have to trek all the way to my marina at the end of the world to measure, etc?

Any suggestions on a good quality canvas shop from you fellow Chesapeake cruisers?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Eckfield

Lance Jones

Well the good thing is that the Annapolis boat show is only two weeks away! Good deals there.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: foobie on September 22, 2009, 02:31:18 PM

1.  I don't intend to change the frame or anything and the Bimini and connector are relatively new, so I'll leave them as they are. Any speculation as to the approximate cost of a quality replacement?

2.  Can I just remove the old one, or does some poor soul have to trek all the way to my marina at the end of the world to measure, etc?

Steve,

1.  Good idea.  We did just that a few years ago here in CA, cost about $2,500 for the dodger only.  July 2004.

2.  Uhm, who cares? If they are a quality shop, they will WANT to visit your boat.  And if they don't, you should be suspicious.   And you should be there.  Do NOT take it off and bring it in.  They may have some "enhancement" suggestions or different ways of doing things that you may not have thought of, or you may have some ideas to bounce off of them. And you WANT them to measure twice, cut once.  Do NOT, please, do NOT try to "get out of" having them visit your boat.  I didn't quite understand why you seemed to be resistant to this, unless I'm over reacting you what you've typed.  I learned an awful lot from our new dodger vendor and came up with a better dodger on the old frame than I would have otherwise.

Others from the area can fill you in on good local folks.  Or folks to avoid, which is just as valuable! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

A good canvas shop will visit the boat and make their own pattern.  Much easier to work from a new pattern than your old streatched material.  As Stu said, discuss options, different window placements, etc.  They are a wealth of knowledge.  Typically shops work load slow down this time of year.   Get done now so you don't have the deal with the spring rush.  The boat show is also a good idea...some good deals there.  If you were in the Southern Bay I know who to send you to.  Sorry I can't help up north.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Steve : If you still have good tubing and NO changes, so only the "canvas" needs replacement; it'll cost you about $1000.  If you start adding a stern and side hand holds (which I'd recommend) the price goes UP.  A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Kyle Ewing

Regarding side hand rails, see Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/Frames-Fittings-Tools-Bimini-Dodger-Awnings) for some kits.  There are also different grades of eisenglass and sunbrella which affect price.

What makes you think it needs to be replaced?  I recently had my canvas refurbished (really rebuilt with new eisenglass, stitching, and zippers where needed) for a fraction of the price of new.  Granted, I'm in fresh water so life expectancy of the fabric may be greater.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

karista

I did exactly the same thing 2 years ago. New dodger had to fit on existing frame and connect to existing Bimini connector as well as vertical side panels as I have a total enclosure. Replacement Dodger was built using Tenura Thread and 40 gauge glass, it also included sun covers for the glass, leather border trim and side grab rails. It was built by JSI who I believe does the Catalina factory dodgers also. They first came to the boat and did a pattern, then they came back and installed it, the price 2 years ago was $1550.
They are usually at the boat show, you may want to get a quote from them, they also have a Canvass shop in your area.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ken Juul

In reference to Kyle's comment about reusing.  That is another good reason to have them visit the boat.  When I had my bimini redone, I think 3 years ago, the dodger was also evaluated.  The estimate was another 3-4 years.  Due to window damage, I had them replace the glass and restitch last year, thinking that might give me a couple more years.  This year despite regular applications of Scotchguard, in anything heavier than mist, moisture just wicks through the material.  Length of service can be extended by restiching and window replacement, but canvas, even sunbrella, will eventually wear out.  Hopefully the canvas shop will give you an honest evaluation of what you need.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

To add to my earlier post:  one of the reasons for the "high" price was that we opted for a full dodger cover, instead of just the standard and simple window covers.  That turned out to be a big mistake.  The concept is great: cover the entire dodger, in our case as many of you know it is a light beige or tan.  In reality, it is just a tad too much work to do every time for a daysail.   For a while, I would actually just pop up the front of the full cover for visibility to avoid having the full-monty of removal and re-installation.  I should have bought the simple covers.  When I broke my leg we neglected to immediately go down to the boat to put the cover on.  Those three months in the sun, plus some earlier neglect from laziness, had ruined the front glazing to where we can't see out of it too well anymore.  So now we have a price to redo just the glazing and build new front glazing covers (we have them on the two side windows and those are still just fine) of $600.  We also got the "better" glazing, forgot the name.

Lesson learned:  keep the glazing covered.

In addition, co.com reports that the new West Marine "Pure Oceans" Nano Tec Waterproofing Protectant is better than the old sawhorse of 3M 303.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

foobie

As always, great responses! Thank you all.

Stu: The main reason for attempting to avoid a boat visit was that I was considering using a local (to my house) canvas shop. Since the boat is about 1.5 hours away I was hoping I could get it a little cheaper without a visit if possible... But you are right, the shop should visit and advise me.   

I'll tell ya, I know boating is expensive... but restoration is a helluva lot more than I had thought it would be! :shock:

Steve Eckfield

Ron Hill

Steve : One very important point - make sure that you specify that they use a thread like Gortex.  There are threads that last the life of the material, otherwise the shops will probably use V92 thread which will only last 4 or 5 years!! (and you'll be paying for restitching).  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

reedbr

Steve-

I had Ambitious done three years ago at Zahniser's/Quantum in Solomons.  When I called around, nobody in the Annapolis area (45 minutes away) wanted the job.  They all said the boat was too far and all required several visits to the boat to do the job.  Bimini, dodger, connector and main cover were about $4K total, and I think the dodger was $1700 of it. 

Two other notes since you are familiar with the boat:
(1)  I kept the removable side panel design from the original.  It makes the dodger bearable during Chesapeake summers.  I usually put the sides on for spring, fall, and heavy weather sailing.
(2)  I did not have the zipper slit for the traveler lines put back in.  I rerouted the traveler cam cleats to the inside of the dodger closer to the companionway.  An extra pulley in the old cam cleat location made it possible.  A Bulls-eye fairlead provided too much friction.
(3)  With the old dodger, I had to remove all the lines to remove the dodger in the fall.  The new dodger has a split bolt-rope near the deck oranizers so I no longer have to do that.  A snap connection keeps it from spreading apart while mounted.   

I used to have pictured posted here, but all that remains are some work-in-progress ones:
   http://users.erols.com/reedbr/temp/
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

foobie

Thanks Brian! Nice to see some pictures of the ol' girl! I have great memories aboard that boat.

Steve Eckfield