Head counter top

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Harvey

We had a leak that has since been fixed. The head counter laminate
and the wood base is very warped as a result. it looks like the melamine counter are attached to another  3/4 plywood base
Has any one removed the melamine counter from the plywood base? it looks like it id screwed and glued on.
Andrew
Mark I  Simply Blue
Andrew Harvey

Stu Jackson

Of course, Andrew.   :thumb:

Please check out the wiki:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Galley

I also suggest that folks check this "approach" out to help each of you find "stuff" that's here:  Quick Start from The Guide:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2629.msg32029.html#msg32029

The wiki is organized by subject matter, like a Table of Contents:  Galley?  go for it! :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Urscheler

I had the same problem and replaced the counter top with 1/4" white starboard.The counter top is glued down to the fiberglass liner with a couple of small screws from underneath. It lifted off quite easily. The counter top is in two sections and can be used as a template if still in good enough condition. We glued the new counter top down with 4200 for going the screws.The teak trim can be removed and glued back along the edge with 4200. Replace the 3/8" teak plugs without screws. I trimmed out the back splash with 1/2" teak moulding all the way around to hide the change in depth and glued in place with out screws. Be sure to caulk everything well.

Andrew Harvey

David,

Thanks for the help.

I finally was able to remove the counter top. Ripped out 3 screws attached to the aft cabin wall..did not know they were there.

How is the glue working for the teak fiddles? Did you not have a teak handrail over the head attached to the fiddle ?

Did you cut the Starboard your self ?

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Ron Hill

Andrew : Starboard is easy to work with. I like to use a band saw or varialable speed scroll saw.  If you get any saw blade going too fast it will melt the plastic rather than cutting it.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

David Urscheler

Andy:
The starboard was very easy to work with. Cut it myself with a Skil Saw and fine toothed plywood blade. Cut the opening for the sink with a jigsaw. My leak also caused some softening in the edge of the bulkhead where it meets the countertop. I drilled a series of small holes and injected some epoxy. After hardening rock solid, I covered the holes with some teak trim. The 4200 has held perfectly. I do not have the hand rail you refer to. If I ever figure out how to post a pic, I will.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Urscheler

Stu:
I went to "Additional Options", downloaded a picture, hit post, and I keep getting an error message saying the file is too big for the server. I then downloaded the Microsoft Resizer, right clicked on the picture, re-sized it to "small" , posted and the same thing. I'm not the most computer literate guy around, but this seemed pretty simple. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Dave

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Dave,
When you resize a picture, it makes another copy of your original and labels it with the original filename with "small" after it. You may have been trying to send the same original file. Look in the folder that the picture is in and you should have 2 of the same picture, one on them having "small" after the filename.
Hope that helps.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

David Urscheler

Ken Juul

If you know you are going to post a picture, make sure it is the correct size before you start.  Otherwise it gets confusing as you try to go back and forward correct a "picture is too big error".  The other option is to post without a picture, then check/adjust the picture size and use the "modify Post" button to add your picture.

I have been in your shoes many a time....learned the above tricks the hard way  :cry4`
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

David Urscheler

Her's some pic's (I hope)

David Urscheler

This one shows the drilled holes for the epoxy before the trim was added to cover.

Lance Jones

Hey David,
That really looks great!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622