Severe crazing of ALL ports (Opening and non opening)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

I am in the process of purchasing a 1987 Catalina 34, which is in good codition, with the exception of the crazing of ALL the ports. I would like to replace all the opening port "glass".  It looks as though the hardware easily unscrews.  Has anyone encountered this problem, and where might I get the replacements?

I also will replace the non-opening ports, which I assume would be available through Catalina.

Thanks in advance for your replys.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

beang

Tom,
How bad is your "crazing"?  Is it mainly on the surface, causing your ports to look dull or marked up?  Or do you have cracks going deep into the acrylic?  You can polish out surface problems using metal polish like Blue Magic or Flitz.  Larger scratches can be sanded down with 600-1200 grit wet dry sand paper.  Acrylic oxidizes so you need to do both sides.  Unfortunately if the cracking goes deep, I think you're looking at replacement.

Stu Jackson

The 1987 boat you are looking at could have either Beckson ports or Lewmars.  The Beckson ports are the white ones with white plastic trim and black inside opening ports.  They are easy to replace and are available directly from Beckson.

A search on the main C34 website under Beckson will point you to many sources and the Beckson replacement handbook.

If they're Lewmars with an aluminum trim, they too should be easy to replace.

If the main large "windows" are also a problem, they can be replaced and easily rebedded.  Catalina would be a source for these, or a local plastics manufacturer, like TAP Plastics, could make them based on the pattern from the old ones.

There was an earlier discussion on this message board about portlights.  Also try the search engine on this message board for more info.

Given all the great things about a C34, the portlights should be very low on your list of qualifying items.

Good luck, and hope you get your boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Glennon

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your quick replys! I knew i'd like this organization!!

The Ports that are crazed are the Lewmar type, and unfortunately, they apear to be deep.  The fixed ones also will need replacement I think, but, if I do purchase this boat, I could live with the fixed ones for the meantime.

I will try the compounding method, and see if that helps any.  If the purchase goes thru, I will revise the profile with the hull number, and then look for many answers to the various other questions I will have no doubt!

Thanks again!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Roc

I would first try what George suggests before you jump into changing them.  PS did a test of various acrylic scratch removers, and Novus was the best.  There are a couple of 'grades' depending on how bad the acrylic is.  

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Andrew Bell

I just replaced all 6 opening ports. Just the smoked window. They are Beckson I think 12-1/2" x 5" Most of the damage appeared to be done by the screens. They were $40 in Canada so should be available for <> $25 - $30 in the U.S. Why did I spend the money ? Seems like a great way to get a great new boat for the price of used. Easy to change just 2 screws through the hinged part.

Andrew Bell    Abbatis   #172