Teak Doors for Vee Berth Storage

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

This winter I built a shelf aft of the forward water tank under the vee berth to gain more storage (MK II boat).  There's a ton of storage space there but everything falls into the bilge and on top of the knot meter and depth sounder transducers.

What I want to do now is get rid of the useless drawer that slides under the vee berth and replace it with two 12x12 inch doors (making one 24 inch unobstructed opening) to get better access to the shelf.  I'm also going to add a 12x12 inch door to the starboard side of the vee berth bulkhead.

My question is; where's a good place to get teak doors?  I'd like to get louvered doors for ventilation.  They can either be already in a frame or stand-alone.  I have a carpenter that's going to install them as I do my best work with wood in a fireplace...

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Wayne

Steve, I had the same idea last winter, but was unable to find doors to match  the rest of the interior.  Plus, I really hate to start cutting into fiberglass.  What I did instead was to remove the drawer (yes, pretty much totally useless dead weight) front from the drawer and install two hinges at the bottom of the drawer front.  I purchased from Home Depot a 12" or so deep white welded wire basket that fit perfectly below and screws into the drawer slides.  I now have a drop-down door (the former drawer front) and a deep storage within.  The door is wide and narrow, but hands fit inside just fine.  Plus, we use the space to store inflatable PFD's for guests, so the shape fits.  Just another approach to the same problem . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Steve Sayian

Wayne,

I thought of doing what you did but decided I want the larger opening.  We store bulk drinking water, tonic, and dry goods and I didn't want to have to lift up the vee berth cusions to go in through the hatch board. 

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Bob Kuba

Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Lance Jones

There is a similar solution in the project area on the site.
http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-v-berth-louvered-doors.html
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

I just did a Google search for "teak doors marine" trying to find out whether it was H&L Marine or H&R Marine that made the doors for Catalina.  I was amazed at the wide variety of teak door resources.  In addition to the searches I keep "harping on" :roll: here, Google is an invaluable resource for other things.  Try it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I think West Marine also carries teak doors
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Lance Jones

West and the one linked above are all supplied by the same company (AFi). H&L or H&R which ever supplied to Catalina Yachts are difficult, if not impossible, to work with. They don't answer questions or return calls UNLESS you're placing an order. However, if they don't answer questions or return calls, I won't place an order with them. Very bad customer service.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Wayne

My experience was the same as Lance's . . . called twice, never called me back, sounded kind of snotty . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : The approx 12" x 12" teak louvered doorson each side of the Vberth bulkhead, was one of the first improvements that I did back in 1989.  I got them at Boat US and they are standard is most chandeliers.

There have been so many pictures of those doors (Mainsheet/ Message board) I don't have one on the computer anymore to attach!!
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

I've installed a 12"x12" louvered door to port and one to starboard of the center drawer.  I've yet to suck it up and make the cuts for the two center doors.  The four louvered doors I'm installing came from Thai Teak Marine...  Good product and a good value, just don't be in a hurry.

http://www.thaiteakmarine.com/catalog/page36.htm

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Lance Jones

Rick,
With that arrangement, are you still able to lower the V-berth insert to the bottom level?

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : Sure - you can put the Vberth center insert down if you want.  I sent you a copy of an old picture that has been posted by Email.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Lance,

Ron might be able to, but I cannot.  The door frames fit the space too tight and the insert no longer fits.  I never found the insert useful in the lower position, so it was never a factor for me.  I'm sure I have pictures on one of my computers, if I could just find them....

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Lance Jones

I think I'll add the doors and also add some teak extensions to support the insert a little further aft. I'd do this to allow the insert to still be used. I'll have to remove it to open the doors; but, the added/ease of storage will be worth it I think.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622