Shower Drain Issues

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

The swap out of the check valve is complete!!! Woo-hoo, little - if any back wash.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I hope you put a filter/strainer before that one way valve or it WILL get clogged.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

While on the subject, I have the standard setup i.e. shower drain plumbed to the head thru hull. What is interesting is that when I open that sea cock and pump the shower basin , the toilet fills up(as opposed to the water being discharged into the sea)  with the water from the shower basin. I could understand this happening with the thru hull closed but can't figure why the shower water isn't discharged into the "sea" when the thru hull is open.---it's seeking the course of least resistance but why is that the toilet? BTW I did search for the answer but couldn't find this oddity addressed specifically. I know that none of the lines are clogged since I can get water to the head from the sea and can pump water from the shower to the head thru the hoses.--a partial clog maybe?

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ken,
Is the switch position on the head in the dry bowl position or the flush position? I should NOT happen if it's in the dry bowl position. I know my head will continue to fill after flushing if I don't change to dry bowl or close the through hull sea cock.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Ken : As Mike pointed out the "path of least resistance" (if the toilet valve is on wet bowel) is in to the head bowel !! 
You might also want to check that double fitting and the head/drain thru hull for any kind of obstruction. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

thanks Ron and Mike,

I think you may have the answer. The switch is inoperative. It allows water into the bowl regardless of position if the sea cock is open. I'll replace that switch check for a partial clog and enjoy future flushing into the sea---- thanks guys!

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il