Sail Replacement & "Sail Care"

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I have a 155 furling headsail that needs to be replaced.  Are there any suggestions on places to purchase new or good used sails for '89 standard rig Catalina.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Paul,

You will most likely receive many specific answers from folks who are happy with their sails and will relate where they purchased them.  I do not recall hearing from anyone on this board who would "admit" to not liking a sail he/she bought in the last 11 years.

In general, in answer to your ?, we have seen the following results over the last 12 years:

1.  Sails bought from a far away loft:  usually less expensive and generally fit "well"

2.  Sails bought locally:  usually higher cost, personal attention to detail by local sail maker you can talk to for adjustments and fitting, and local conditions and knowledge of sail shapes that work in your "neighborhood"

Your boat, your choice.  Others will chime in with their experiences.

[tag for search: new sails]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe and Carol

On our 1987 Tall Rig, we choose a reef designed Kappa 150, with UV Strip to match our bimini.  With this sail we have been very happy.  We had an orginal 155 but I can tell you the 150 is perfect.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Lance Jones

I would call Catalina. I got a great deal on their factory sails. While not high tech, nor designed to MY specifications, they are designed for your boat BY Catalina. I'm very happy with them for cruising.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Paul, I just did a search on the phrase "new sails" (use the quote marks to get the search engine to get the phrase) and up comes a substantial amount of prior discussion, much of which remains perfectly pertinent to your question.  Give it a try.  As I mentioned earlier, others will undoubtedly continue to add to this topic, too.  My sails are 22 years old and I'm interested in these topics, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

steve stoneback

Hey Stu,

Are ya trying to set a record on how many years you can get out of one set of sails.  I bought new Kappa Sails to replace my 17 year old sails 2 years ago.  Possibly a "Question of the Month".... how old are your sails?

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: steve stoneback on August 25, 2009, 01:27:34 PM
Hey Stu, Are ya trying to set a record on how many years you can get out of one set of sails. 

Steve, there are a number of issues:  age, daily and regular use care, and in our case we sent the main back to Sail Care a few years ago which really helped.  When the sails get older than me, they'll swap me out for a new skipper. :D :D :D

Wobegon

Paul;

I can HIGHLY recommend Doyle Detroit...ask for Karl.  The customer service there was first class...and they treated me like a king.  I purchased a new Main for my 1992 Catalina 34 about 6 weeks ago, and they went above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of.  The quality of the sail is great and I could not be happier. I talked with 8 sail lofts around Lake Erie and none of them treated any where close to how well I as treated at Doyle Detroit. They wanted my business and did what it took to earn it.  All the quotes were within $400 of each other and Doyle was in the mid-range.  THEY HAVE EARNED A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE! Give them a call...you won't be sorry.

Tom

crieders

I bought a number of Sails from Somerset Sails in New York State up near Rochester. All were nice and very inexpensive except the last 155 genoa that needed some work and Martin did not make good on it but rather wanted to make me another at a discount. He is worth calling just to get a price point, however.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Bob K

Try Mack Sails in Florida.  Very good workmanship and materials at a great price.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

jmnpe

I was extremely happy with our new 150 genoa from National Sail Supply. Very good price, nice workmanship, and they really know all of Catalina boats. www.nationalsail.com

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

John Langford

Hi Stu
Can you tell us a bit more about your experience with Sail Care? I went to their site after seeing your reference above and I was impressed with their message. Does the relamination really make a difference?

Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Phil Spicer

We found our 1988 in 1993. The PO only sailed with the jib, but it looked new. When we got the boat home & rigged I noticed the Sail Care sticker on the jib. PO had sent the jib to Sail Care. After 10 more years of use I sent both sails back to Sail Care. WOW ! Almost new again. May try it again before I look at new sails.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ken Heyman

I bought a used sail from baconsails.com. they have a excellent reputation for accurately representing the used sails condition. I was very happy with the experience.
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

John, you asked about Sail Care.  My limited report is here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2275.0.html

The experience was good, they took a bit longer than originally promised and their inventory control was fine except for the inventory controller, herself, whose dyslexia made it hard for them to find my sail by their inventory #-ing system!  See, maybe that's good, I remember the experience.  The sail came out fine, although everyone, I mean EVERYONE, should mention that it shrinks the sail.  How much?  About an inch maximum along the foot, easy to stretch it with the outhaul, but the sail IS smaller even after stretching.  Not an issue for cruisers.  The trade off:  a few hundred dollars to keep an old sail working long vs $1500 or double or more for a new one.

Would I do it again?  Yes, if I convinced myself that I wouldn't like a new mainsail instead! :D  Then there's the convincing the Admiral: "You only need the jib, doesn't the boat sail so well with just the jib?  You kept showing me how well it did!"  Why, oh why, did I ever go that route??? :shock: