Topping Lift, Masthead Clevis Pin.

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McGill

Folks,

Yesterday was 90 degrees with less then 5 knots of wind. I decided this was the perfect time to replace my topping lift (big mistake). I got out my TopClimber and took the required tools to the top of the mast. I removed the cotter pin from the clevis pin.

As I was punching out the Clevis pin from one side I succeed in punching it clear of the mast. It landed 3 feet from the boat in 7 feet of water.

I did not have a caliper with me or on the boat to measure the diameter of the hole for the pin.

Anyone have an idea of the diameter of the clevis pin, I assume its probable 5/16". and 2" long.

Thanks,

Steve

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Stu Jackson

Steve, in most cases like this the concept is to buy a few items "around" the suspected size, use what you need and decide whether to keep or return the rest.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Steve : Do as Stu suggested or call Catalina tomorrow for the correct size pin diameter & length.  I'll guess it's the same diameter pin as the inner(lower) stays, but longer.   
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

I am in Coos Bay drinking fine wine, eating fresh Tuna, and waiting for the gales to the South to subside.  I know I have this pin from my old topping lift in a box under the vberth.   I may go spelunking there tomorrow.   If I do, I'll measure it up for you.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Steve McGill

Folks,

F Y I

2.5" working length, 1/4" dia.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD