Headmate Head replacement with PHC Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyt

Paul, although yours was a differnt original, I would be interested whether you were able to re-use your old bowl or bought the whole head including bowl. Hopefully I will hear from CatlinaDirect and get the answer soon from them as well.

Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Albreen

Tom - The deal at Defender at the time (it was their annual warehouse in late March) made the cost differential between the entire unit or everything minus the bowl within a few dollars. So, I purchased the entire head. I don't think the old existing toilet base would have accepted the Raritan pump - I recall one used 2 screws vs. 4 for the other to connect the pump assembly unit so I would have had to replace the base also. It would have been so much easier if they did match up. But, all in all - well worth the effort.  :D
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

tommyt

Thanks for the info Paul. Hopefully I will hear from Catalina Direct by tomorrow as I did not today. Got to pull the trigger on something very soon.

Tom

Tom Clay

Tom,

The headmate bowl will bolt directly to the Raritan PHC LBA. Make sure you order the PHC LBA (link in previous post) as it is a direct replacement for compact bowls, and the Headmate. You will have to drill a couple additional holes for mounting the pump to the floor as the Headmates mounting holes do not line up with Raritan.

After 1 year and alot of use this is the best upgrade we have made to the boat. The Admiral is very happy with it.

IMO, don't waste your money on a Jabsco, 2 friends replaced theirs after only 1 year to the Raritan.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

tommyt

Thanks Tom,

Based on that I will order it today as I have yet to hear from CatalinaDirect customer service.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Glennon

This must be the year of the "raritan refits!"  I also swapped out the original groco head for a Raritan compact ... the refit went well. I put a short hose with 90 degree elbow for the intake water line, as the bend seemed too severe without it.  I did NOT however insert a vented loop in the pump-to-bowl line. Is this a MUST DO, or a SHOULD DO for safety?
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Stephen Butler

Have been monitoring the discussion on heads and thought another opinion might help.  We have a Jabsco cheapie installed and working well, for the last 5 years, with absolutely no problems...once we figured out how to store the unit when off the boat for some time.  We remove the o-ring from the pump and spray it with silicon.  It  takes maybe 2 minutes to get off and stored, and another 2 minutes to re-install.  Yes, the Jabsco head is certainly not the best quality and no doubt when we move aboard for a year of so during retirement, we will change it out, but for the past 5 years, it has always worked well. However, if there is one Jabsco component that we have had great difficulties with, it is the macenator pump....the assembly bolts corrode out and the pump literally tears itself apart when switched on.  Makes for a messy bilge clean up, to say the least. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Albreen

Three Tom's changing out heads to Raritan - I feel oddly named!  :D Regarding the vented loop - a MUST DO - not for pump function but for flooding possibilities. Search using "Vented Loop Head" for many discussions in the past. Our C34 has the loop setup in the adjacent locker and the lines angle toward centerline with the loop placed very high.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

tommyt

Well, this Tom did order the Raritan and it is a great improvement. Although the schematic online did not match the Jabsco bowl, the old bowl fit the new head! Very easy switch out, only had to extend the intake line to the head and put in an elbow to keep it from pinching.

tonywright

I used the same kit this year.  While the bowl fit the kit, I did have to drill new holes to mount the base, which is longer than the original WC Headmate pump unit.  

This also meant that the waste hose had to stretch a little to fit on the new discharge elbow at the back of the pump. First attempt at this was a near disaster: I slid the elbow on the hose first, and then bolted it on the back of the PHC unit. It was a bit of a struggle, but the bolts are sturdy. On testing with (fortunately) clean water, the joint around the elbow/joker valve leaked like a sieve.

It took a call to Raritan and complete disassembly/reinstall to figure out that it is easy to distort a plastic fitting when under too much strain. I was able to loosen off the waste pipe by an inch to relieve the strain, and reinstall the elbow. This time no leaks. (Crossing fingers for the first real test yet to come.)

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

tommyt

Tony,

Yes, I also have a couple of holes to fill as this is a different base. Not much of a problem...just need to get to it.

I also had one glitch caused by my trying to do it quick instead of smart. Got everything put together as I wanted it. Bolts tightened, hoses run and some double clamped, bowl on and ready to test. All that was left was to put the handle on. Put the handle on, and when I started to put the little cotter pin in the top to hold the handle.....yep, dropped it down the OPEN bowl.

Tried to fish it out, and did not want it going thru the hoses (maybe) to the tank....so took the entire thing apart, tipped it on its edge and out came the pin.

I usually pre shop for everything I think I will need for a project and then plan on running to the hardware at least three times for additional items on most home projects. This was only a two run project!!! :D

Joe Kern

Another satisfied customer with the PHC pump upgrade.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."