PAR-max 4 Pumps

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Our Sure Flo went tango uniform and we replaced it with the Parmax 4 from Jabsco. It has nearly double the GPM at 4.2 Our only issue is that when only one faucet is open, it surges. When the shower and the sink are on, no worries. Trouble shooting guide says that hose diameter may be a bit small and should be upgraded.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks, as usual, in advance...
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : What did you mean by  "It is nearly double the GPM at 4.2" ??

Also, what surges the water coming out of the faucet or the sound of the pump?

Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron,
The Sureflo(OEM) was rated at 2.3 gpm while the PAR-max is rated at 4.3 gpm

both the water AND pump surge. I  think this is due to the water flo not being high enough to allow the pump to stay on. It senses that the pressure is high and cycles off then right back on. The trouble shooting guide also suggests an accumulator tank if this happens OR larger water lines.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, you simply bought too big a pump.  If you want to keep it, add an accumulator.  If not, putting bigger hoses in won't solve the problem because the length of hoses are just not long enough to make a difference in pressure drop, and the faucets themselves are the biggest pressure drop in the system, and those you can't change (engineer-speak).  A 2 to 3 gpm pump is more than enough for our boats.  When was the last time you took a shower AND did dishes at the same time?   :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Why Sunday night Stu! I showered and Kitty did the dishes. That's how we figured out that with ALL the faucets open, it wouldn't surge.
I sort of figured it out that the pump was too big too late. I picked up an accumulator today based on what a friend who had a similar situation on his boat. Solved the issue for him. Replacement SHOULD have been the PAR-max 3.

Thanks for the help folks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

you can always use th Max 4 for an anchor wash down pump and replace it with the Max 3 :D
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Now that's a thought Ken. I want to see how this accumulator works. If it works fine...maybe run a water line up to the bow for a wash down or to the stern for a ... wash down.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I agree with the previous posts - bigger is not always better!!  
I was going to say yesterday that I would have gone with the smaller Par Max 2.4 fresh water pump.

You can try the accumulator idea, but things are getting crowded under that galley sink!!  Ken may have given you the best idea.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

A question about wash-down pumps for the anchor.  Is it usual to use fresh water?  I would have thought to use a salt water system.  Where would I intake the water?  Any ideas?  Thanks!   :D
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Scotty, you're right, no need to use fresh water.  Just tap into any thru hull.  Ron devised a neat system:  bilge pump on a rope off the bow with a separate on off switch up front using garden hose.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

definitely sea/lake water.  No sense using what little fresh water we carry to wash the mud off the anchor.  My AirCon thru hull is in the bottom of the Vee berth hanging locker, I intend to tee off that for my wash down pump.

Adding the stern shower is a great project, see the wiki.  Since it's primary purpose is to get the sea/lake water/sand off people it should be plumbed into the fresh water system.  Easy to tee into the lines under the head sink and run them aft to a shower head.  Seen both styles....my crew would have mutinied if I didn't' run both hot and cold  :clap
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

The Accumulator did the trick. Yes Ron, I had to look a long time for a location. Wound up over the water heater access door. Fits well and out of the way. I will probably run lines to the stern for a shower. Even though we are on a lake, it would be nice to shower/bathe with even FRESHER water. Thanks for all of your insight. This is without a doubt the best investment of dues ever!  :clap
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Scotty :  A few issues back, I wrote an article about re galvanizing my chain.  Most all of us use salt water to wash down the anchor rode/chain/anchor and the fordeck.

However, I've found that after the anchor area has been cleaned up with salt water, a fresh water rinse off can be very beneficial (in preventing any corrosion). 
This past year I took a quart jug and filled it with fresh water and sprinkled it over the windlass, anchor and chain.  Just that small amount has done wonders in getting most of the salt off until you can get back to a dock and really hose every thing off.
I usually use fresh water from the drinks cooler or fresh water from the tank (usually catching cool water before it gets hot - before a shower).    A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Thanks for the ideas.  I really liked the idea of pump-on-a-rope.  Reminds me of soap-on-a-rope.
Scotty