Engine Water Pumps

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Next on the project list is to change the sea water impellor.  Does the engine fresh water pump have a similiar impellor or is it more like an automotive pump.  Is there a recommended replacement interval or just when leaking or bearing noise is heard?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

karista

Having just replaced the fresh water pump, I can tell you that the impeller is metal and pressed on to the shaft, the Universal dealer said that there is no rebuild kit available and they do not change nor stock impellers for this pump. Replacement appears to be the only option unless you have access to a large press and puller. The  Universal pump cost was about $235.Later I found out that that same pump can be bought at Kubuto tractor dealers for around $97, check this topic to get the Kubuto part number and save yourself about $138.
Bernd Mueller

Ken Juul

Thanks, just the info I was looking for.  Mine is fine, not leaking or making noises yet.  But it is good to know where to go to get parts when you need them.

Now to find the impellor for the sherwood, Calls to B US and West show they don't stock them in the stores, may have to special order.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Norris Johnson

Westerbeke.com will list the distributers for Universal engines.

Norris Johnson
Mariposa
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Norris Johnson

Hey thanks, Stu. Didn't know about that site. I have been dealing with AER, the distributer for the Houston area.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Stu Jackson

Norris

You're very welcome.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with this website, the entire engine manual with all the parts is available for downloading and/or printing out.  Very handy.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."