Interior wood

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

There was a recent thread about care for exterior wood and the most popular concensus seemed to be Cetol of which I too am a big fan.  That said, I have found the finish on the interior walls of the companionway to be developing a mottled look.  The factory finish is still in tact but the appearance has degraded and just does not look like new as the rest of the interior wood does.  The boat is only 4 years old and it is only the wood by the companionway so it is probably due to sun or occasional moisture (from a wind driven rain that might make it's way under the dodger/bimini when we are aboard and the companionway is open).  Has anyone else found this and what did you do about it.  I would be tempted to give the walls a light sanding and apply Cetol but not sure that would be wise without completely removing the factory finish; a job I am not the least bit anxious to tackle.  Any thoughts???
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

You can call Target Coatings and they will sell you a quart of the material Catalina uses.  It's a waterbased coating that's easy to use.  The fellow there told me to thin the first coat 10% with water.  Second coat full strength.  Go to a craft store and buy a very good, thin bristle 'artist's brush'.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ed Shankle

Not sure if the MKII interior finish is different from the MKI, but I had to do the same thing to the companionway in my 89. I sanded lightly and used Interlux Interior varnish, which is billed as providing a hand rubbed look. Easy to do and looked nice. It's been a few years and it's still holding up.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

This is almost as interesting as the exterior teak treatment thread.  We prefer the look of the '86 wood, because that's what we have!  All we use is teak oil, including the angled bulkheads in the companionway.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

We have found that "Orange Glow" cleaner works great on the interior teak to remove dirt, grime, sweat, etc.  After drying, follow it up with teak oil. 

For floor care, about once a month, we apply teak oil to the sole.  It is the last chore before we close up.  When we arrive the next weekend, the oil is absorbed, no worries of slipping or leaving foot prints.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

horsemel

I'm with the teak oil crowd.  Easy to apply. Cheap. We apply in an afternoon before leaving boat.  Sometimes we do the companionway and steps midseason due to rain and wet feet on the stairs.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D. Gill : I believe that the MK II C34s have a water based polyurethane coating on the interior teak.  No oil needed !!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

David Arnold

Ron is correct; the MKII's or at least those built in 04 have the waterbased urethane on all the interior woodwork with the exception of the sole which is a maintenance free Formica that looks like teak.  From what I am hearing for the companionway my best bet is to get hold of the finish Catalina uses, lightly sand and apply a few very light coats with the first having been thinned down a bit.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707