Macerator Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

C Martinson

I know that this info is probably somewhere but in a quick search I couldn't find it.  Does anyone know the model of the Macerator pump on the MK I and if it is fused somewhere?  I am leaving for a family sailing vacation with the family early Thursday morning and this weekend my macerator pump stopped working....it didn't sound clogged or jambed and I didn't have time to do an exhaustive search.  It was running then my bilge pump went on it just stopped.  I opened up the panel and saw the switch but no fuse.  I am hoping there is a fuse somwhere or a reset on the pump.....anyone know?  I will try the reverse but it really doesn't seem like a clog.

Any help would be really appreciated....leaving for the 3 hour trek to the boat Wed evening.....thank you

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull 9445

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

If you have the stock switch panel, the breaker is right on the front of the panel by the macerator switch. I believe there is one breaker for each three switches. The macerator itself has a thermal breaker that will reset itself after it cools off. Was it running for a long time when it stopped?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

C Martinson

Mike:

thank you for your response......I looked on the panel and there wasn't a breaker next to the switch but down one and I did reset it but it only reset the nav/com circuit.  The pump wasn't running but 30 seconds and I did try about 2 hours later with no luck.

Chris

wind dancer

I just replaced mine a few months ago.  Jabsco model 18590-2092  I believe.  I bought it on sale from West Marine.  No inline fuses, just wired to the main panel "macerator" switch.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

jmnpe

Hi Chris,

If you have the small rocker switches on your DC panel like I have on my 1988 C34, the other things to check for are a failure of the macerator switch itself, as well as the push-on spade terminals that connect on the back of the switches. Both of those are common problems: the switch just craps out, and the push-on spade female terminals get loose on the switch's male spade terminals. I have about 3 dead switches on my panel right now  :?.

Good luck chasing down the problem.

John
1988 C34 hull 728
Orta Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Chris,
Looks like you'll have to pull out the old volt meter and do some checking. The switch sounds like a good possibility. If you find that the voltage is good up to the macerator, you may want to try reversing the wires briefly to see if the motor will run in reverse and possibly clear the clog if there is one.

One more idea.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net