Companionway hatch tape

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyt

I have the replacement tape for the companionway hatch to slide on. My old tape began to peel, and although it still works fine it is looking a little tacky.

So, has anyone done this little project? I did a search and did not find it. Could very well be my search abilities.

The question that I have is how did you prep for the tape? Remove all the old tape and glue? With what did you remove the glue? Any secrets to this project?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

RV61

Tom,
I have not done this particular project however to remove tape glue from a variety of surfaces I have used a citrus based solvent cleaner called Goo-Gone.
rick 
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Lance Jones

Tom,
Where did you obtain said tape? When we slide open my hatch, it sounds like a banshee screaming (When was the last time anyone REALLY heard that sound? :shock:). I'd like to add the tape to eliminate that small annoyance.

Thanks!

Lance
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Steve McGill

Lance,

I am sure Tom will respond, but I used PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) tape, cleaned out the channel
on both sides and layed down the tape. Slides with two fingers and "ZERO" noise.

Purchased from McMaster-Carr.com at the following link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#76445A762

Good luck,,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

tommyt

I bought the tape from a friend who had purchased some from Catalina. I think that it was $1 a foot. This tape was standard on my 2004 MKII.

In doing a search for the tape I found some hits that might work for your MKI. One of them was a strip that was laid down and secured just because of the banschee sound.

Lance Jones

Thanks Steve, just ordered it. Did you just put it in the channel or did you also put it on the lip too?

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Steve McGill

Lance,

I cleaned the channel on the deck side, cut the tape a few inches longer to insure the hatch slide
covered it when completely open and closed. When I pulled the backing off I was able to position it
in the channel with no difficulty. I assume there would be additional improvement if it was also added
to the hatch, but I think it would require  removal. That too much work and the strip on the deck side
is sufficient.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Lance Jones

Thanks Steve,
I was referring to the inboard lip of the channel.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

One of the very first things discussed in the Mainsheet magazine when the C34 Association first started recording tech tips was this horrible screeching sound  :abd:

The least expensive and least intrusive answer is to keep the track clean.  It's hard, we live downwind from a concrete plant!!!  We use a large flathead screwdriver wrapped in an old rag of a bath towel, wet, slide it around.  It's a completely different arrangement on the Mark IIs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

UNREAL! I ordered the tape this morning and it was just delivered! Same day service!!!!!!!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Terry Forshier

I just saw this and ordered the tape. Cannot tell you how many times we have opend up the hatch at night or early morning at a marina or Yacht club and screeeeeched everyones attention. Tried all kinds of lube too. Hopefully, this works. Thanks

tommyt

Rick V, thanks for the Goo Gone idea. Had some at home and it did wonders. Softened it up great, scraped the old glue off, then sanded to make certain that I had a clean surface to tape to.

Oh, and on the MKII there is no glide in the channel. The hatch slides on the tape which is on the lip, and the lip is easily accessible. Catalina must have heard enough about the screech to change it.

Ron Hill

Guys : For those of you that have a MK I with a squeaking hatch here's a tip that I posted a number of times BEFORE:

Cut yourself two 1 inch x 5 foot strips of Lexan (polycarbonate).  Slide each under the hatch runner on each side and secure them with a small flat head brass/stainless screw.  Countersink the screw's hole so the top surface is smooth.   No more squeaking.  I first used aluminum which eventually squeaked !!
A thought  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Just a note to you mainland people..I thought I would order some of the tape at the McMaster site....at $6.80 a role not a bad price but shipping to Hawaii is $15.00!! Oh well..price of paradise?
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

tonywright

Susan

At least you were able to order some.

Here is the reply that I got:

"Thank you for your order.  Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr will only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada.  We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.  "

So I will have to figure out how to repair my hatch tape another way...

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada