Replacement bulb for Forespar ML2 deck light

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

I have a Forespar ML2 steam/deck light on which I need to replace the deck light bulb.  Does anyone know the bulb type or cross reference information to Forespar's part #132035?  My brother went up the mast to look at it.  He got it working after cleaning the contacts but it since went out so I don't have the bulb in my hands to compare.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

waterdog

I think it's an MR16.   

I just went through this excercise with the steaming light.  No cross reference info anywhere.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Kyle Ewing

Thanks, Steve.  The MR16 looks like the right part.  I'll know for sure later this week when I put it in.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Mert Gollaher

I replaced mine a month or two ago with an MR16 from Home Depot; works fine.  I intended to look for an LED replacement, but never got to it.

Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Ron Hill

Kyle : Don't know the number, but it's a halogen 20W bulb.  Two prongs are the contacts.
Ron, Apache #788

jmnpe

I recall dealing with this issue on our previous C34 ( a 1991 Mk 1.5 ). There is an "old" and "new" design of the light, and a corresponding distinct bulb for each design version. As best as I recall, the difference was associated with the bulb structure: stand-alone reflector with separate halogen bulb versus one piece bulb/reflector ( probably MR16 ). I don't remember the crossover date relative to C34 model year because it related to manufacture date of the light. I don't remember which version the 1991 model used, only that the one I bought for it was the wrong version....

For what it's worth.

John
1988 C34 hull 728
Otra Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Ron Hill

John is correct, but what I found is that the bulb in both were the same.  Think Forspar wanted to sell more reflectors !?! 
I had another earlier deck/steaming Forspar light with a glass lens that popped in to protect bulb&lens.  Forspar told me to remove it as it wasn't essential.  After replacing deck light bulbs on an annual basis, I reinstalled that clear glass lens on the bottom of the deck light.  Now the deck light bulb has lasted more than 5 years - go figure !!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

Just FYI - there must be several different types of lights.  I have a 1988 and the replacement bulb is a bayonet type, not the two pronged.   I think its an aquasignal fixture.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve : The original factory deck/steaming light was a Forespar.  Yours could be differant in that the production line could have ran out of Forespar fixtures and substituted an Aqua signal -- Catalina has been know to do that.  Catalina was putting them in most, if not all of there production!! 
Also a PO could have changed fixtures which is more likely.  You probably have a better fixture - in my estimation !! 
Most owners have changed out their original deck/steaming light fixture.
I'm one of the few remaining - original owners (from the 1980s production C34s).   
Ron, Apache #788

jmnpe

I'm with you on that one, Ron. The Forespar fixture is pretty flimsy: I had constant problems with it on the 1991 C34. When the got the 1988, the first thing I did while the mast was down for truck transport was to replace the Forespar with an Aqua Signal 45: over-kill for most, but on the lake we are on we have lots of powerboats zipping around at night consuming mass quantities of beer and gas... I want all the help I can get! If I flip on the deck light, they have to really work at not seeing me  :thumb:

John
1988 C34 #728
Otra Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Stu Jackson

Our 1986 boat came with an Aqua Signal steaming deck light combo, similar to the Series 25 fixtures used for the bow and stern lights.

Seems these fixtures were like the keel or deck stepped mast:  maybe an option or maybe what they had on hand.  Who knows?  Just figure out what you have and write down the lamps for it.  The WM or Defender catalogs are pretty good at showing pictures and listing the right lamps.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."