Crack in muffler

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

Discovered a small crack in the muffler at the flange near the petcock.  Have read about others having same problem and how
they fixed it but was wondering if there is a temporary fix that can be done without disconnecting and removeing the muffler.
Very short sailing season here and don't really want to lose a week or two doing the repairs correctly.
The boat is a '87 model, hull number 475 with the square muffler.  Would 3-M 5200 caulk do a temporary repair?
Thanks for any and all ideas and comments.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

jmnpe

Hi Larry,

If time is of the essence, then it would be worth trying. It certainly won't make it any worse  :?. You might want to use the Fast Cure version of 5200 since it will fully cure in about 24 hours versus the 5-7 days with regular 5200. Make sure the area where you apply it is very clean: no oil or loose dirt or rust. You might also rough up the surface of the gell coat a little as well with some 40 grit paper so the 5200 will have something to really set its teeth into. Apply the 5200 well past the edges of the cracks.

When you get ready to do the "real" fix ( if required.... ), you can put some Island Girl Pink cleaner on the 5200 and let it set wet for a few days: it will soften it enough you can then scrape it off with a putty knife or equivalent.

Good luck.

John
1988 C34 hull 728
Otra Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Stu Jackson

We have had success with Marine Tex, they also make a quick set version.  I believe the only place on a boat for 5200 is the hull to deck joint, but given John's suggestions for removing it, you now have a choice.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Footloose

I repaired our muffler with West System epoxy and fiberglass mat.  It took about 3 hours.  The hardest part was preparing the surface, IE removing the gelcoat. After letting cure overnight we were good to go.  That was 3-4 years ago. 
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Larry : Don't screw around with 5200 !! 
Use either Marine Tex or Epoxy as already suggested. 
I'd sand down that area till you get to the glass/mat.  That fix will be a perminate one.  If the crack is into the portion where the petcock screws into I'd remove & replace it and mat/epoxy over most of the hole and re-tap for the petcock threads.  A thought   
Ron, Apache #788