sherwood raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Thanks guys. Maybe its a wear plate I'm looking for as it wasn't evident to me when I changed the impeller yesterday. Could it be missing? If so, I ought to have seen leaking I expect.

I'm going back now to take it apart. Thanks for any more feedback fellas.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Hawk

Thanks Craig. Thats helpful.

Ron Hill

Guys : There is NO paper gasket between the face plate and the impeller housing on a Sherwood raw water pump - there is on an Oberdoffer.  There is a "thick paper? gasket" between the Sherwood pump and the engine.
What seals the face plate on the pump housing (impeller inside) is an "O" ring.

On the newer Sherwood #908 pumps is that the "O" ring seals the pump (bronze) housing to the pump body(iron w/bronze plate in between!!) by 3 bolts. Those design engineers had their head up their "you know what" because the 3 bolts are threaded to the pump housing from the inside
One step forward and 10 steps back!!  A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

I took the Sherwood pump apart again and relying on Craig's parts breakdown drawing it does appear that a gasket fits between the wear plate and the pump body. Of course the 3 gasket holes fit the bolt positions but I did not see any reason to change dthe gasket. So I removed my mis-positioned gasket. and all is well.

It all started when I sucked something up the raw water intake as I left the outstation and noticed quickly a reduced water discharge. After limping back to dock, I removed the hose from the water strainer and cleared the obstruction with my trusty coat hanger. I thought it might be prudent to change the impeller as it likely ran a little dry.

Just for information, yesterday I motored for 1.5 hours at 2400 rpm and the temp gauge was steady at 170 degrees. I have an M35 with 3 blade prop.

I appreciate all the good advice fellas.

Hawk

Jack Hutteball

You guys are all lucky enough to have your pumps last long enough to need to change the impellers.  The impellers have all been perfect on the last three that I have replaced with bad seals. I am getting good at switching pumps though, can do it faster than changing the impeller. :?
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Hawk

By the way I should have said that the sherwood impeller I removed looked just fine even though it likely ran dryish for 10 minutes...it went to the emergency spare box.

Ron Hill

Jack : You need to get a Globe "blue rubber" impeller.  Then what I do is reverse it the next year so the blades don't retain a "set".

Hawk : If your impeller you took out is "black rubber" I'd recommend that you spray it with silicone.  Then put it in a zip lock bag so it won't dry out and become brittle!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Ron,

Great point. I had read that previously but forgot to do it on the weekend.

Jack Hutteball

Ron, my spare impeller that I have yet to use is a blue Globe.  Maybe the seals on this pump will last long enough to use it!  One interesting thing when I changed out the pump this time I also cleaned out the raw water intake strainer (which I check on a regular basis) I completely drained all the water out of the strainer housing.  I found a layer of "silt" in the bottom of the housing that I had not noticed before.  It may be possible that the water in our area contains a lot of silt that is playing havoc with my pump seals.  We do have several glacier fed rivers nearby, just maybe ... :think
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington