Swim Ladder

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaFever

Phil,

I just came across this posting while I was looking for something else... :D

I don't understand how your ladder extension fits and works. Could you post a couple of pictures of the extension in place (stowed) and when deployed? Perhaps when deployed it is under water, if so, semi deployed would help. Great looking extension!

Thanks.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Tom Glennon

I bought a stainless steel 3-step colapseable ladder at West marine.  It has brackets for mounting to a swim platform, but I used u-bolts and attached it to my bottom rung the first season to "test" and see how it worked.  When not extended, I have a velcro strap that keeps the ladder compressed (steps nested) into each other. With the swim ladder up, the extension swings over into the cockpit, actually making a comfortable back rest.  We found the extra steps when deployed, have plenty of deptth into the water, so there is no struggle at all to get on the ladder and up into the cockpit.

I took the original ladder off the transom in the fall, and brought to a local welding shop, where they "sculpted" the brackets on the extension, so they confirm to the tubing on the original... then welded for a permanent attachment.  We have been very pleased with the result.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Phil Spicer

Sea Fever: Will take more pictures this today & post as soon as I get home.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Sea Fever: (First pic) The ladder extension is stored over the corner of the propane locker. (Second pic) Brackets welded to ladder to hold extension. (Third pic) Extension held in place with pins
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

First 2 pictures didn't post....I'll try again

Phil Spicer

Ladder is almost in the water. Last picture,all the extension is below the water.

SeaFever

Thanks Phil. Great pics. I get it now.

Cheers.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA