Speedseal - Quick impeller access

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum M

Hi guys.  My favorite boat store is talking to me about this new product (to us) in Canada.
It's a quick access door to the impeller.
Anybody has tried it or heard about it?
Just tough I'd pass the information around.

http://www.speedseal.com/SpeedsealLife/SpeedsealLife.html

Thanks
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Roger Blake

Their website says: (1)Extended impeller life for both generators and main engine pumps, with tests showing routine improvements of two to three times normal life. (2)Prolonged and repeated run-dry tests gave results of 40 x 5 minutes dry starts (tests stopped) without damage whilst maintaining performance.Increased pump life and performance. (3)Quick impeller changes.

So...quick impeller changes seems reasonable...but, how does thumb screws provide all the other benifits? And, can you torque the thumbscrews to the proper level to prevent leaks? I like the idea of no tools, but does it really work?
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Stu Jackson

Oberdorfer pumps have this crazy, zany faceplate that faces forward with four SCREWS to use.  Hmm, really hard to do.  When I overheated one March when Ken Heyman was visiting a few years ago, it was soooo difficult to get out a screwdriver and take the plate off...

Now, if I had a backasswards Sherwood, I might think about it some...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Serge : You have an M35BC with a Sherwood and a "Speed seal" - I don't believe will work!!  
The 3 bolts that hold the impeller housing to the body have the bolt heads (for a Sherwood raw water pump) - on the engine side   :cry4` :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Quote from: Roger Blake on September 01, 2010, 05:02:11 PM
Their website says: (1)Extended impeller life for both generators and main engine pumps, with tests showing routine improvements of two to three times normal life. (2)Prolonged and repeated run-dry tests gave results of 40 x 5 minutes dry starts (tests stopped) without damage whilst maintaining performance.Increased pump life and performance. (3)Quick impeller changes.

So...quick impeller changes seems reasonable...but, how does thumb screws provide all the other benifits? And, can you torque the thumbscrews to the proper level to prevent leaks? I like the idea of no tools, but does it really work?

It's not thumb screws.   It's a new Speedseal product that stops the impeller from dragging on the plate.    You have to read the technical details and Practical Sailor article.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Indian Falls

Speed seal uses an O-ring not a gasket. You only need to compress the o-ring to form the seal. 
The thumbscrews need only be turned until they stop.
Not sure if it works on mine either, the threads are in the cover.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Terry Forshier

I bought a new obendorfer last year. The face plate has an O ring not a gasket. Much easier and no drip. Terry

Susan Ray

Terry...What did the new water pump cost you? and where did you get it? Thanks, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

David Comando

After 6 seasons with the Speedseal, replacing the impeller every 2 years, I replaced it with the original housing cover for the following reason.
This season my pump kept losing its prime after going out for a sail. After reading the numerous posts on this site, I found that a slight imperfection from the impeller rubbing on the housing would cause this. Since the Speedseal has a raised lip, it would have to be machined to remove the slight groove. Advice from prior posts indicated that sanding the original housing with wet and dry sandpaper 600+, on a flat surface like glass or marble, for the amount of time it takes to consume 2 beers, would remedy the problem. Problem solved.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Ron Hill

Susan : Call DEPCO at (800)445-1656 and ask them the cost!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788