Swim Ladder

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I have a C-34 Mk 1. My swim ladder, when lowered, only has one rung in the water. It is way too difficult to get on it while in the water. I belive it is the original aldder that came with the boat. Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the situation?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Move the ladder down or buy an add-a-step (made by Johnson) which hooks onto the lowest rung.  If that doesn't work, try a side ladder of the right dimensions (works fine unless you raft up a lot :D).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Asbury

West Marine has an inexpensive rope ladder with 3 to 5 plastic steps that might do the job for you.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Lance Jones

We've added something similar to that; but, when you put weight on the step, it moves the whole flexible ladder to the horizontal position. Stu, I looked at Johnson Marine and also Googled Add-a-step. Do you have a link or suggestions?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Thought you'd ask.  Try calling them, I don't see it in their on line catalog, they may have discontinued it, but may still have some around.  http://www.csjohnson.com/
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lance Jones

Thanks Stu, they don't have it according to the lady I spoke with. Are all Mk 1 swim ladders the same? When standing on the bottom rung, the water only comes up to your lower calf.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

One of the "better" what-I-did-to-improve-my-boat features is on the Projects page from Captain Al Watson, former owner of hull #55.  Browse through his work here, some of which discusses and photos the swim ladder.  http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/upgrades_pics2.html

Warning:  reading Capt. Al's stuff could involve you in more boat projects than you can shake a stick at and you'd never go sailing again - boat projects tend to do that!   :D :D :D

Lance Jones

Stu, I spent too much time on that site before and caused all sorts of projects to break out on Kity's Cat!!!! I did find the solution I was looking for here:
http://www.clrmarine.com/466.html?sm=30078    .
I saw this product at the Miami Boat Show and almost bought it then. Wish I had as I would have gotten it not only 15% cheaper but saved the postage I paid to order it today..
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, well done.  That looks like ours, although we only got a single step extender which works just fine.  Could be I misspoke when I attributed it to Johnson, although my inventory calls it Add-a-Step; maybe they bought it from Johnson, I got ours through BoatUS in 2000.  You'll enjoy it, it really makes all the difference and is about as low tech as we can get!  Good find!

[refs:  Add-a-Step; Extend Your Step]

Lance Jones

Thanks! It'll be here Thursday :thumb: I'll write a review when I install it and use it a few times.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Phil Spicer

Bent & welded some ss plate to the ladder. Made 2 step extension with "T" & elbow fittings. Pin the ladder in place& flip it into the water. This is the step.

Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Bent plates welded in place, pins are tied on to ladder.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Lance Jones

Holy cow Phil, that's beautiful!!!!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Very well done, Phil.  Do you have any pictures of it in the full UP position?

Phil Spicer

Thank you Lance.   Stu, full upright position is just like yours, parallel with the top of the stern rail. The extra steps only get put on when we need the ladder. The step stores in the back locker to port at an angle with the bottom step resting on the propane locker. The legs point down. Steps are plastic lumber, same as the handrails on the deck......No more teak cleaner.