Mainsail luff dimension

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Has anyone actually measured their main?   I just laid my new one on top of my old and was horrified to discover that the new one was more than a foot longer.  I pulled out the trusty tape measure and the new one is 38'4" with no luff tension (hard to achieve luff tension on the front lawn).   

The specification is 38'6" which is about what the new main will be under tension. 

Am I in trouble at this length?   The old one didn't appear to go all the way up the mast, but I never had a close look at how far short it was. 

The leech on the new one is shorter which is great because it hangs a little low with the old sail and I could bump my head on the boom.   New one has an extra batten and more roach.   

If I'm too long, I would rather know before I pound rivets on the headboard.   On the other hand, I won't really know if I'm too long until I put a headboard on and hoist it.   Any help is appreciated. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

steve stoneback

Steve,

I replaced my main 2 years ago and have the old one at home that I could measure if that would help you.  I will be heading to the boat in about 2 hours but I would be willing to lay it on the lawn and measure the luff if you think it would help.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

steve stoneback

Steve,

I just laid out mine on the lawn and the luff measures 36' 11".  That was of course with no tension on the luff.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

waterdog

Thanks Steve.  Yours is a foot and half under the recommended maximum, too.   I think I need to mess around a bit and see if I have a headboard clearance issue if I go to full height.  Definitely not going to put the headboard on today! 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Took the old one to the boat and gave it a hoist without the foot attached.   It did indeed go 14" above the boom.   Headboard clearance was an issue at that altitude.  Once I have the new one back from having its rings pressed, I'll lay them together again and decide on headboard position and probably drop it a few inches with some recut work on the leech. 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Just a follow up on this.  I ended up full height per Catalina's specs.   No issue with headboard clearance.   My new main is a lot bigger than my old one.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat