Mounting artwork, etc

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyt

I know that i have seen good examples of this, but search does not get it done. I want to mount a emergency list and a couple of pictures on bulkheads. One on the bulkhead by the nav station and a couple on bulkheads between salon and vberth. Don't want to drill thru to mount, so what are my options?

1. Want to use frames so it looks finished.
2. Will make sure the glass is plexi
3. Don't want them coming down in heavy weather.

Options?
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Stu Jackson

We have a large picture mounted on the bulkhead.  We used velcro, but you can't use glass for it, plexiglas is much lighter.  Just velcro on the corners works well.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Agree with all you have said, I find a frame that has a pear shaped or inverted keyhole shaped mounting socket.  I use a pan head screw of the appropriate size to hang the frame on.  The head of the screw slides into the narrow end of the socket so it won't fall off.  Picture is crude, but gives you an idea of the shape.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

I have used a combination. Ken's Keyhole to hold it up, and Stu's Sticky Velcro to stop it sliding around. :D

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I don't know if you want to use a sticky substance or not but you may consider a thin plastic laminating film .

On the lighter side, duct tape now comes in colors.    :lol:
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Roc

I use velcro in the event I ever want to move things around.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Rick Allen

I have the same issue and I think velcro sounds like the best solution. 

If I were to use velcro, how should I prepare the teak bulkhead for the velcro adhesive?  We oil our interior teak about once a year so I wonder if the velcro adhesive would stick.  Would acetone work? Perhaps something not as harsh? Maybe I'm over thinking it...

Thanks for your help.

Rick
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Rick Allen on June 23, 2009, 04:28:24 PM
If I were to use velcro, how should I prepare the teak bulkhead for the velcro adhesive? 

We use teak oil on our wood, too, but we just used wider than the width of the back of frame for the Velcro.  Of course, we didn't stick the Velcro on right after we oiled it!  If the wood's reasonably dry, it should stick, if the picture's light (regardless of size) as suggested earlier.  If you feel the wood's too damp from oil, then acetone just where the Velcro is gonna go wouldn't hurt.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Arnold

Consider a very small screw hole with the head of the screw coming in from the v-berth side.  No worries about holding the frame and when you decide to take the picture down just fill the hole with a little wood putty and it's gone.  I would think  that the velcro will leave a glue residue over time that will be a devil to remove and possibly leave a noticable blemish. 
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Hawk

I used a small eye screw with the half circle...looks like a question mark. Predrilled a tiny hole but not all the way through obviously. Then put in the screw after cutting its length so it doesn't pop through the v-berth side of the bulkhead. Picture wire as usual on the frame and hang it. The wire can't slip off in rough weather. Of couse when heeled over sailing the picture remains basicly horizontal thanks to gravity so two plastic stick-on frame slides on each corner works to protect the teak...no one is staring at art work when sailing anyway. It always seems right back in place when the boat is back to upright. And doubles as an inclinometer if you do go below. (:

Hawk

Hawk

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Jeff_McKinney

Hawk,

I like the hook solution you used. The downside to that is if you have vertical lines on the panels and nervous nellies below, the artwork becomes an auxiliary "whine-ometer".  :cry4`

If you are going to let it swing I suggest some of those little felt pads that you put on the inside of cabinet doors so the picture will slide smoothly and not grind the finish.  Softer than the plastic and cheap to replace.

Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Hawk

Good point Jeff. I wondered if there would be any slight marking on the teak using the plastic rather than felt slides but thus far all is good.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

John Gardner

I find that Velcro adhesive is liable to fail after a time and in the heat of the summer.  I've successfully used the combination of a very small panel pin to take the weight of the picture and a 3/4 x 3/4 piece of Velcro at each corner to stabilize it.  Nothing has fallen yet in the last 7 years.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.