VHF license

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

I posted this over in the Fleet 5 forum, but it was recommended that I hit up the entire membership for opinions on this. . .

I am in the process of applying for ship station and operator licenses from FCC.  We are sailing into Victoria, B.C. this summer and plan to hit the Gulf Islands and north every few years.  I know the FCC "requires" these licenses when sailing in foreign waters, but does anybody (customs, coast guard) check this, and is there any benefit to having it? 

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

waterdog

I have a friend who travels north from Seattle every year.   He has never even thought about getting a station license.   Nobody checks it.  You won't have a problem.   Of course, if you decide to flagrantly ignore my country's laws, you could be subject to strict penalties.   Let's see now.  Last I checked you could get a small fine if you grow large quantities of marijuana in your house.   No radio license?  Probably 2 years in jail. 

Steve
Radio Call Sign:  CFG7456
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jim Hardesty

Jay,
I sail on Lake Erie, visit Canada often.  Canadian law does require license.  But, don't know of anyone having a problem using the radio correctly in Canada.  My plan for Canadian Coast Guard is to play dumb.  It's worked for me so far.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

c34no1471

I agree it's probably not necessary, but it was very easy to get when I was planning a trip to the Bahamas.  I mainly use it now to impress guests on the boat who seem to think I know what I'm doing because I've posted the "license" next to the VHF.

George Alberts
Breezing Up, MKII, #1471
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Momentum M

Guys if you want to play by the book well this is how it goes:

Any vessel entering foreign water is then in International water(IW). Then the communication world is then govern by "International Telecommunication Union" (ITU) .

In general the ITU's synopsis:

When a vessel is in the sovereign territory of any foreign administration, the provisions of the ITU apply, which requires that all stations be licensed unless there is a treaty between the administrations involved.
In 1999 Canada entered into negotiations with the US for a reciprocal agreement to exempt the requirement for a station licence for boaters crossing the border.  However, due to 09/11, and continuing homeland security issues, more pressing matters have taken the forefront and an agreement was not reached.

That's the rule...so any vessel in International water must have a station licence and an operator's certificate.

I recently took the course to comply with the above 'cause when I'm sailling I do want to enjoy it and don't want any legal problems.

I do sail on both sides of Ontario lake and I intend to visit our American friends so I decided to play legal.

It's a bit of a pain to take the course and to obtain your license but when you have it your OK for life.  Learning the real way to make calls, use Digital Selective Calling (DSC), etc.... will benefit you and all the boators that will hear you when you use your radio.

Like I've read here before..it's your boat, your decision :D

Good luck and fair wind on you trip.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

waterdog

Just to clarify.  You don't need to write any exams or pass any tests for a station license.   The station license is for the boat with the radio.  You pay a fee.  At least in Canada.

In Canada, you are required to have a radio operators certificate to use the radio.  That is something you have to pass a test for.  And you are supposed to have one without exemption.   It's good for life and issued to the invidual.  I don't know if there are any reciprocal agreements on the ROC with the US.

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

tonywright

A further clarification. Canada no longer requires a station licence for a Canadian boat in Canadian waters. But it is required if the vessel sails into US waters or other international waters. Check the site below.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/oep/navigation/radiocomms/faqs.htm

As I recall reciprocal recoginition is given to licences of both kinds from the US as long as they are visiting.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Tom Glennon

As you probably all know, the Ship's radio station license stays with the vessel.

I got one years ago for my previous boat, but I believe the gov't. has since discontinues the need for such.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D.Gill : I believe that the US FCC radio licence is only good for 10 or 12 years? and is costing about $100+ for renewal. 
The later is why I let mine expire !!   
Ron, Apache #788

wind dancer

Ron,

That's a large part of the reason I'm hesitating on this.  If it were $25 like it was back where they were required, it would be a no-brainer.  But, at $160 for the initial license, it seems like yet another useless tax.  They don't even assign call-signs any more.

Jay
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Hawk

Jay,
I deal regularly with Canadian Marine authorities, Border Services and Transport Canada. You will not be asked about a station licence under normal, non-accident, conditions. However don't even think about bringing fresh fruit or vegies....that could land you in a heap of trouble. You might find yourself putting in 5 years hard labour on a maple syrup farm up here.

HAwk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Craig Illman

Jay - It won't be the going into Canada that will be the issue. It will be the return to the US. VHF radios are known terrorist devices, along with shoes and quantities of liquid over three ounces.

Back to my reply on the Fleet 5 forum. A ship station license will give you an international MMSI, so your DSC emergency call in Canada will identify your vessel if you have it programmed into your radio.

Craig

Ron Hill

Guys : If you go to the Boat U.S. web site, they have a tutorial on the MMSI number - what it's about, how to apply and more !!
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron - Yes, BoatUS has MMSI numbers, but they're only good for the US, not International.

Craig

waterdog

Craig:

I didn't know there were different flavours of MMSI number.   I just applied and was issued one by the Canadian gov't.  I don't recall them asking whether I was contemplating international voyaging.   What happens if I hit the distress button on the SSB or VHF in US waters?    Will they send a cutter or write a letter to the Canadian embassy in Ottawa?   Is this just a special Boat US thing or do I need to investigate?

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat