backstay tension

Previous topic - Next topic

Fou Du Large

Hello

I think i have too much sag on my stay. ( about 8 inches) look at eye.... at 20 knots app. wind. genoa 135% full open.
I don't have backstay adjuster.
Each of my double wires on backstay is at 750 pounds on loosegage.
Is that correct?
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Ken Juul

Somewhere buried in the mounds of old posts or technotes is an article about backstay tension.  They did the math and trig that I have long ago lost practice in.  Standard rig, high split in the backstay they recommeded 600# on each leg.  If you think you have too much sag, may need to loosen the back stay, tighten the forestay a turn or two and then retension the back stay.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

I got this from Ken Morton several years ago.  I tune to these settings and have no problems.  I have Mark 1 1/2, standard rig, high split for referernce.

Hope this helps.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Volk

Jim,

Good information, does anyone know if there is anything like that for a mark 1.5 tall rig ?
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

horsemel

I also would like to have the information for the MK I standard rig
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ken Juul

As long as the stays are the same diameter the boat model doesn't matter.  Same holds true for tall rigs,  Because the stays are longer it might take a couple more turns on the turnbuckle  because of the extra stretch but the % of breaking strength is figured on diameter not length.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kyle Ewing

For those with backstay adjusters, is the maximum you want to adjust it 1290 pounds per the tuning diagram?  I tighten the backstay to reduce sag on the forestay as the wind picks up (in conjunction with tightening the genoa halyard) and don't want to overstress the rig or hull.  In light wind or at dock I leave the backstay and halyard loose.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/