STORING EXTRA 10LB PROPANE TANK ON A MKII

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

Any suggestions where the extra tank can be placed and secured?
Thanks

ed webb

I was having some issues with water leaking into the aft cabin. I removed the panels and found an extra tank stored next to the aft water tank. I don't know if this is the best place, but it would do.

Momentum M

I'd be very reluctant to store propane inside the boat!!!  A 10 pounder last a fairly long time (for me anyway) so if your going on a long trip...refill your 1st one before departure....and if you consume a lot...well next stop where the can refill do it.
The cost of a 2nd one...plus the storage problem......and if your going for a long time you'll need all the storage that you can get.

I can't see why you need so much propane  :santa

For my BBQ, I use the small 10 on bottle (the non refill one).  I keep a few in my anchor pit....so if it they leak....well it will go down the drain.

Regards
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

tonywright

Propane is pretty dangerous stuff. Being heavier than air it will collect in the bilge if there is any kind of leak. Mixed with air it becomes explosive.  So picking a storage spot, you want to be sure that any leaks vent overboard.

If you try to use one of the aft lockers, I don't think that there is enough height to vent a sealed locker above the waterline. If you use the anchor locker, you would need to be sure that you could still deploy the anchor quickly in an emergency. Plus are we sure that the way it vents is safe enough?  The drain can easily get clogged with mud.

If I carry ecxtra gas for the propane, I put it in a bucket and tie it on a step on the transom. That way any gas gets vented straight overboard.  Those cylinders have a relief valve for overpressure, and they can vent gas in hot sunshine.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Allan.SVCarina

Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Allan.SVCarina

Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

SailDan

Hey Carin, I like that propane storage tank rack on the stern pulpit.  Where did you get it? Did you manufacture it, purchase it?  If you made it, a posting on our C-34 "project page" would be nice... I'd give serious consideration to installing one on Weal Sea (See my 'temp" solutions below).

Regarding the concerns expressed as to the dangers of storing propane in confined spaces, especially below deck, the warnings should be taken seriously... DON'T DO IT.  I just returned from my annual short stint of teaching at St. Georges U. in Grenada. While there, a Grenadian sailboat blew up due to improper storage of a propane tank. Fortunately, the owner was not killed but he was still in the hospital when we left for home.

As to where to store your extra 10# propane tank, I like the setup used on Carin (above).

Here's another possible 'temporary' solution.  We had to make the same storage decision during our 2005-2006, 15-month, 7000 mile trip cruise to the Bahamas and back to Hammond, IN (FYI: 'Warts & All' journal of 1st 4000 miles of the trip: www.clrmarin.com/210.html).  We anchored out 80-90 % of the time and went through a significant amount of propane. (The Admiral of 40+ years, 'Patricia', prepared most of our meals and she loves her boiled [in the skins, of course] or baked potatoes and fresh bread.  In addition, she had to have her HOT tea a 2-3 times during the day or she became "grumpy" and would likely as not through potatoes at me... She's from Ireland!). 

Propane is readily available in the Bahamas but, if you are cruising the "Out-Islands" for a week or more, it may be hard to come by on a beautiful but deserted cay.  Thus, an extra tank is essential. We purchased our 10# aluminum tank from WM while still in the US.  Question, was where to store it?  No time to manufacture a vented storage locker on the way. Depending on conditions, we stored it in a white, sun-reflective plastic pail (with holes drilled in the sides near the bottom for water drainage) which we lashed to either one of the stern pulpit seats or to the port or starboard stanchion boards clamped to the lifeline stanchions forward of the cockpit.  (Note: Storage of the tank in a pail 'hides the ugly tank", and also prevented scratching and staining of the deck / seat associated with salt water corrosion of the aluminum tank.) The "stanchion boards" were also essential for storing our 3 extra diesel, 1 gasoline (dinghy outboard), and 4 fresh water containers. (You pay for fresh water in many of the ports in the Bahamas.  However, there are a few places where it is free, e.g. the dinghy dock in Elizabeth Town, Marsh Harbour. Thus, sailors being notoriously cheap, fill up here when ever possible.)  While all this "on-deck storage" sometimes made us look like a 'tramp steamer', we were not alone... many of the Bahamian cruisers had similar setups, including the two C-34s and one C-42 Catalinas we sailed with heading south.  Thus, we 'fit right in' with 40-50% of the other cruisers. 

We removed the stanchion boards when we returned to the Great Lakes. However, we occasionally use them when we cruise the Canadian North Channel of Lake Huron.

Note - We do store a few of the "small" propane cylinders used for our Magma Grill in our anchor locker.  The locker is vented at the bottom but, you do need check periodically to be sure its clear of debris.  Also, if you decide to store a few cylinders here, be sure the cylinders will not tangle your anchor line should an emergency anchor deployment become necessary. We had to deploy our back-up anchor during a squall in Marsh Harbour, Abacos when another boat ( a BIG "cabin cruiser" from the States) dragged anchor. There was no one on board and they had an anchor scope of only 5 to 1 during a squall! The boat hit and nearly capsized us, and then cut the rope segment of our anchor line; we carried 50 ft of chain and 200 ft of rope rode. (We had a scope of 12 to 1 and were holding firm with our Bruce. In fact our anchor was holding both boats until he sawed through our rode with his bow. In a sense, not having 'all chain' was a blessing!  If he had not cut our rode, he would have capsized us.)  Luckily,  I was able to deploy the back-up anchor (Danforth) after we were set adrift.  Scary!!

It will be interesting to hear what you finally decide.

Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

SailDan

This photo supplements above: s/v Weal Sea anchored in Elizabeth Town Harbour (Abacos, Bahamas) among other cruisers. Note stanchion boards with 4 water tanks on deck along with Honda 200i Generator. Extra propane tanks is on port stern pulpit seat (can't see well in photo). The Irish flag is the Admiral's along with Kinsale Yacht Club burgee. We are also flying the "Chicago All Catalina Fleet 21" battle flag.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Canuk,
One other option, if you're just worried about getting caught short is to buy an adaptor that will allow you to connect a disposable cylinder to the propane fitting that connects to your permanent tank. This way you can continue to use the stove bellow.

Mike  :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Allan.SVCarina

Dan, I made it using a stainless single fender holder and put insulating foam on it to cushion the tank.  My wife made the cover out of Sunbrella.  It was very simple to do.

http://catalina36mkii.blogspot.com/
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)