Slight port listing?

Previous topic - Next topic

jsampson818

Hey all,
I decided not to fill my rear water tank to reduce some weight, boat lists slightly to port. I don't see how this could be affected by the rear tank as it seems it is amidships, but when I searched listing on the archive I found a reference to someone who stated "both water tanks were empty so she was listing to port" but the posting was about something else. All other things are as equal as they can be throughout the boat, what do you think?

Thanks

Greg

Bob K

The aft tank does favor the starboard side slightly, so that may be the reason.  I never noticed a difference, but I never thought about it either. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Greg : You have a starboard and an aft water tank.  Not too sure why not filling the aft tank (which is centerline) would cause a port side list?  The aft tank will fill the starboard tank by gravity - as it's higher.  Make sure the starboard tank is full!
Most C34s have a slight port side list that's why we owners tend to add items of weight to the starboard side (tool boxes, starting battery etc).  Best to keep the holding tank empty.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

jsampson818

yes, starboard is full, just seems weird, don't remember the issue last year

C Martinson

I must have too much on my starboard side as I have a slight starboard list.  Regarding the water tanks....having read Peggies book on tanks - she suggests that you keep the water tanks full not empty to avoid growth in the tanks and hoses.  I used to keep the water tanks empty and had a smell issue but once I started keeping them full - no issues....but I sail a little slower

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
Hull 945 1989

tonywright

The fuel tank is on the port side...

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

mdistel

The previous owner of my 93 C34 was very particular about the list to port. He always kept the forward tank full and has bags of sand in the storage behind the seat cushions. I've left the sand in place but we've decided to use both tanks after the forward one developed quite an odor when we emptied it for winter storage. I'm not sure if full tanks, extra tools or sand on board makes a difference in sailing performance. My full chain anchor line probably doesn't help either:)

Mark