Stern Pulpit Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

We are considering replacing the stern pulpit on our 1991 C34 with a newer pulpit with transom seating.  Has anyone done this?  Will we loose rail space for a barBQ and life ring?  Will we be able to put our outboard on the rail?  What about the fold down seats?  Has anyone used them and are they comfortable?  Thanks... Fredd

Stu Jackson

A less expensive option would appear to be to obtain the seats themselves without having to redo the whole rail.  A good friend actually made one seat for us as a present, and it works just fine.  Other friends have both seats.  These are older C34s, with no step thru transom.  This way you don't have to move anything, get to keep your BBQ and motor mount, and still enjoy the seats.  Like anything else, without a cushion they eventually get hard on your bottom, choice is yours to build or buy cushions.  We haven't.  The best part is that they open up the cockpit even more, and are great for either sailing or sitting.  The vertical support bar underneath the seat fits right against the side of the coaming.  When I first got our seat I was concerned that this bar would preclude the helmsman's seat cushion from fitting, but it works just fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PAUL T.

I just purchased pulpit seats for my 1988 CAT 34,they are the best thing since baked bread !!. They make seats for most boats. Be sure to tell them the year of your boat. They cost $219.00 plus shipping. They are called STERNPERCH. The company is ZARCOR. Website is sail2000.com. Pads and backrests are also available. The seats are easily removable.     SEAESTA 766

Stu Jackson

Al Watson used to make them and sell them for considerably less $.  Might want to give him a try.  He's posted all over the C34 website, check out Projects.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mvazmina

I got the pattern and material from Al and installed about a year ago and they are the most popular seat on the boat. I still use my grill and outboard bracket. My lifesling is on the starboard side over the fuel tank.  These really don't take up any space in the cockpit. I am still able to get in the aft locker without any problems. A hint, when you install them use the rail connector that can be snapped off and if you need the space the seat will come off in a moment

Alohman

We have a 1986 C34.  The original owner retrofitted the entire stern railing system with the new railing system w/intregral seats.  We have a outboard mount and the type of swim ladder that folds up to become part of the railing system.  We do not have room to have the grill permanently attached to the railing.  We attach/detattach when needed.  Given the amount of time people tend to use these seats (always the favorite spot) I am glad the previous owner spent the extra money to completely install new railings with seats.  Of course, it wasn't my money...
Vicky