GPS Recommendation

Previous topic - Next topic

rirvine

Gary:

When I made my decision (in 2006), MacENC was the only fully featured navigation product available on the MAC.  I have been extremely happy with the feature set and the support provided by the developer – he always responds in the same day to question and concerns.  He has now ported most of the feature set to the iPhone – InavX  -  which is available on iTunes.

I use a G4 Mac laptop with 1GB of memory that I got second hand for $500, a RS-232 to USB converter to interface to GPS and AIS, and a second RS-232 to USB converter to interface to the SeaTalk network through a SeaTalk to NEMA converter.  With this configuration, MacENC receives data from all the instrument on the boat. 

My system grew over some 5 years as I added pieces. If I were starting with a blank page, I would do it differently with fewer pieces.

I believe that a computer (MAC or PC) and a fully features software package easily wins out over the proprietary solutions from Raymarine et al.

You can see a diagram of my complete set up at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crews_nest/549486483/

BillG

Gary, I have been using GPSNavX made by the same company as MacENC.  The difference is that I can only use raster charts while MacENC will use vector charts as well.
Very pleased withe the system. See   www.gpsnavx.com  They recommend a USB antenna on this site, runs about $60.00. and I have mine mounted below with no problems of reception.  You can download a trial version to test out if you like.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD