C34 and C36 Comparison

Previous topic - Next topic

PK

Hello all.  I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, but here it is anyway.  What are people's thoughts on the benefits and down falls of either boat? 
Our Specifics:  Budget of 80K, predominantly weekend sailing in SF Bay area with potential extended trip to Mexico in some years.  Our budget seems to put us in the mid 90's era for both sizes.  Is stretching the budget for the MKII model something that should be considered for either boat.  If so what are the benefits?
I have read the many praises of the c34 on this site and am curious what more you get with the c36.  Thanks for any insight.

PS Are there any good "for sale" resources for these boats in the SF Bay area that I should know about?

Stephen Butler

Went through exactly the same process in making our purchase.  The final decision to go with the C34 was based on the following: condition of the boat; layout (head towards the stern); size of forward v-berth (big!); relatively little difference in specifications; the C34 organization (a real plus!); and budget (having enough for both the initial purchase and the upgrades/replacements that always need doing.  As for a Mk II, we purchased a 1990, Mark 1 and 1/4 (dimpled stern).  We wanted the extra storage, and cockpit protection, while still having easy access off the stern for the dingy, diving, etc.  We have now sailed the boat for some years and are thoroughly pleased...not a bit of buyer's remorse.  As for heading to Mexico on a C34 or C36, personally think there would not be much different in doing it in either...lots of both models do it.  Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

BillG

When I purchased by C-34 6 years ago, i had looked at over 25 different models of boats and the 2 that were on the top of the list were the C-34 and the C36.
Both seemed like great boats, but what I did like about the 34 was that the aft cabin had a door versus the 36 was a sliding partition and I didn't like the fact that there were 2 tables in the main salon on the C-36.  I hardly ever use one and thought that  having 2 was a waste of space. I don't remember where the head is on the 36, but I really like the fact that the entry door to the head on the 34  is right at the bottom of the stairs as you come below.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

tommyt

Bottom line they are both great boats for your intended purposes. They sail almost the same, the cockpit on the MKII's is identical space, the v-berth is a little bigger in the C34, and the aft berth close. the aft berth in the C36 has a drop down that can impede turning over. Why it is lower than the C34 I have never been able to figure out.

Although I own a C34, I really wanted to like the C36 enough to buy her. I think that the two table issue is actually a plus for a couples boat. You use one or the other and pull the opposite out. For two the port table is great and you have a salon area that is more open. Lots of people customize the C34 salon table by making it smaller, but in the C36 you can eliminate it completely unless you really need the sleeping area.

We made the decision that we thought for us the aft berth issue was big enough to go with the C34. If in fact the aft berth is going to be a garage anyway, who cares?

The boats measure so close that the 34 usually does not qualify for a smaller slip. However, if it does in SF, it may be a plus.

You will most likely love either boat.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Wayne

We went through the process of making the same choice.  For us, the space on a 34 was more efficiently used, and we preferred the head aft.  Also, I'm tall, and the V berth that I can fit into was pretty important.  Also, we really didn't like the way the sink was right at the bottom of the steps on a 36--almost like an obstacle in the way.
34 sails great, I've never test sailed a 36.  So my best advice:  Go charter one of each for a day.  No salesman; just you and whomever sailing it. Sail it your way (Yikes!!! I feel like a Burger King commercial!!!)  Pacific in Santa Cruz has (or at least used to have) both in their fleet.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

MarkT

We just bought a 1987 MK1 C34. As already stated they are very similar as you would expect. The biggest and most important difference between them is the 36 has more storage. But if you really want storage look at a Catalina 350. In our case we needed a shoal draft boat (to fit in our slip) and the 34 we found met this requirement and we could afford it.

The boat we bought has the keel stepped mast which goes past the table which isn't as clear and open a layout as the 36 has. For extended cruising I think a 36 would be a better choice.

Mark Tamblyn

Stu Jackson

1.  The V berth is not just a little bigger, it's HUGE-ER, big time on the C34.

2.  The head is a very big issue if you sail a lot and use the head when sailing; I find the amidships head a tremendous advantage also for having guests aboard - no one is p**ing on your head in the middle of the night.

3.  The entry at the companionway is extremely different, and the steps on the C36 are much steeper with the inevitable "where it will hit you" when you get to the bottom.

4.  The C36 layout is superb.  Too bad they couldn't do it with an aft head!  Just kiddin' folks.  :D

5.  Do a search on "garage" and find out what people really think about the aft cabin!   :shock:

6.  CAREFULLY consider that in many SF marinas liveaboards are only allowed on 36 feet and up, if this is or could be in your plans.

7.  Do a search on "C36" because you're right, this has been discussed before, but there's always something new, so get the best of both worlds.

8.  The C36 folks are also great people and willing to share information.  Our systems are essentially identical, so many of us share ideas and information, particularly about electrical and mechanical systems.  Our website has everything almost ever written about our boats; the C36 folks depend on an email List which I understand just blew up again last week; although they, too, have a message board.

9.  The C34 Fleet 1 here in SF is very active, both having enough boats for one design racing in year-round races as well as a full cruising schedule.  My understanding, from reading Mainsheet magazine, is that the C36 Fleet 9 here does more cruising and doesn't race as a group; their cruising is more long distance out the ocean than the in-the-Bay C34 cruises -- the C34 Fleet did those long distance cruises many years ago, although we did spend a week on a trip to Monterey and back in April 2007.

Best of luck in your search, anything we can do to help you, just let us know.  

Whatever boat you look at, the most important thing is to get a quality survey and the only person many of us would trust here is Peter Minkwitz, in Oakland. See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1947.0.html and http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3696.0.html  
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: PK on May 26, 2009, 12:51:49 PM
PS Are there any good "for sale" resources for these boats in the SF Bay area that I should know about?

Latitude 38, the ads are in the back.  Farralone Yachts also advertises there.  There aren't many C34s available, ever.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

David Arnold

PK, I have sailed both the 34 and the 36 and from my experience the two boats handle and react identically.  I would suggest going below and just spending some time.  Which lay out do you like better?  Where will you sleep and how comfortable is the berth?  Reach into the fridge on both, check out the storage (I think the 36 will win for best storage).  Check the oil level in the engine and see what's involved in gaining access; I think you will find it a whole lot easier to gain access to the engine on the 34 but try it yourself. 

For my wife and I, after going back and forth between the 34 and the 36 my dollars went further with the 34 so it was a financial decision but I can honestly say that I don't have a single regret.  I go to the boat shows each year to see what's new but since getting the 34 I have not had even the slightest urge to change.

All that said, I think you will be very happy with either the C34 or the C36!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ted Pounds

I know there are a bunch of C36 owners that frequent this message board.  In the interest of fairness maybe a one or two could chime in with their point of view? 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ted Pounds on May 26, 2009, 05:47:21 PM
..In the interest of fairness ...

Ted,

I understand your idea, but do believe that this topic is a matter of comparisons, and not right vs. wrong, good vs. bad.  Most of all of us have said both boats are solid and simply have different features that may entice a prospective owner.

But sure, guys, there are plenty of C36 members who frequent our 'site, are very welcomed, and their input has been invaluable.

Rick Allen

PK, if you are interested in checking out C34's and C36's, and you're in the SF Bay area, you might want to think about attending the big Catalina Rendezvous this weekend at the Richmond Marina Bay Yacht Harbor. This is a gathering of all Catalinas. There will be plenty of both boats there. More info is here:http://raft.c380.org

Stop by Slip D171 and I'll give you a tour of our 1988 C34, "PainKiller".

Rick
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

PK

Thanks for all the great input so quickly! 
Am I correct in seeing that the cockpit of the MKII is the same size as the MKI?  I had thought that the wider aft section and a roomier cockpit were some of the MKII's biggest attributes?
It sounds like it really comes down to personal preference and getting what you think is the right boat for the right price.
I have asked the same question on the C36 forum, so I'll see what they have to say as well. 
Thanks again everyone! This forum really is quite amazing. :clap Any more opinions or things to look for when searching for a mid 90's boat would be great.

Jack Hutteball

PK, one more thing to think about, look at the specs

C34 LOA 35'-10"  C36 36'-4"  a mere 8" difference

C34 LWL 29'-10"  C36 30'-3"  a mere 5" difference.

Moored side by side looking down from the top of the mast there is almost no difference.  You get almost the same boat for less $.  You need to decide layout and amenities that fit you best.  We were looking at C36's and ended up with a 34 and we would not trade straight across for a 36.  Both great boats.  In our marina the 36 must go to the next size slip which also equates to more $.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Tom Clay

PK,

The MK11 model does have a larger cockpit. When you get a MK11 beside a MK1 the size difference in the cockpit becomes very apparent.

We also would not trade our MK11 34' for anything else we have see at the boat shows. Our decision was partly based on $$$, the 34' was the cheapest of all the boats we considered. We considered the 36', but felt the 34' was a better value. We also prefere the layout of the 34'.

Good luck whichever way you go, as Jack posted the specifications are very similar.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.