No reverse

Previous topic - Next topic

dpenz

While entering the slip this afternoon, I put the transmission in reverse as usual, but it "clicked" rather than "clunked".  No reverse thrust, the transmission obviously did not engage.  Luckily this was one of my more skillful dockings and the boat just kissed the dock.  Reverse had worked just fine only hours before during an anchoring maneuver.  

I didn't have time to investigate today.  What should I look for?  It's a Hurth transmission, probably HBW-50, with M25XP engine.

Hmmm, does this mean forward might not work either?  I didn't check after the event, but prior to the event I had motored back to the marina uneventfully.

skip

David-

Been through all that last June while on an extended cruise from Atlantic Highlands NJ to Martha's Vineyard with same engine and transmission.   My situation was first with forward and eventually by late in the year both forward and reverse were lost, forcing an engine removal and transmission replacement.    The intermittent problems I had for the remainder of the year certainly improved my docking skills as I can now get my boat singlehanded into my slip stern first without any power using dock lines.

Check the transmission itself by disconnecting the cable at the transmission and manually shifting the lever.   Assuming that you can get reverse then you need to reconnect the cable and check to see that you are getting the full travel of the cable at the lever on the transmission when you shift the lever.   Readjust the cable to try to get both forward and reverse.  This should separate the cable or cable lever assembly as the source of the problem from the transmission.

Feel free to e-mail me further as needed.

Jim Price

I also had problems recently with boat right after I bought in December.  Ran fine then suddenly while docking (and I an't very experienced - first boat) no reverse.  I check at transmisson end and found everything was fine and cable was moving fine.  At transmission end.  I opened up pedistal (now that was interesting) and checked at that end.  Found shift lever to be binding a little (maybe a lot down the cable length).  I simply got can of teflon spray with long tube and forced teflon in to cable housing while working shifter back and forth (undo from transmisson to maximixe movement).  Gravitiy took care of rest.  Teflon went down cable and I thought I had a new transmission when it shifted.  So problem could just be simple lubricant.  Also go ahead and do throttle while every thing is open.

Did not take ANYTHING lose within pedistal.

good luck.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA