wet stern stateroom

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

This weekend I was going to make up the bed in the aft cabin only to find the mattress saoking wet and mildew growing on it.  I can't find anywhere that water (fresh or salt) is coming in so I'm mystified.  There is moisture on the lower portion of the wood panel at the very stern of the berth but I'm not sure that is the cause or if the moisture is a result of the wet mattress.  Taking the panel off both for inspection and to lube the steering system is next weekends project so the jury is still out in finding the problem but I thought I would post this in case anyone else has had a similar situation.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Roland Gendreau

Dave

What about the cockpit windows?  Mine leaked when I first got the boat, and I had to replace both the seals and rebed them to get them to be water tight.  I dont know if the same applies to the newer model you have.

Roland
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

RV61

Dave,
Take a look where the Pedestal bolts Thur. in addition take a look at you seals on the cockpit aft and port locker lids as they can be culprits of leaks.
Let us know what you find.
Rick   
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

ed webb

I had the same problem. Mine was leaking around the auto helm display. I pulled it out and applied clear caulk. It seems to be ok now.

Lance Jones

David,
I'll piggy back on what the  others have said. When we first got Kitty's Cat, we performed a major, I say MAJOR, wash down. It was after that we noticed the same issue you had. We tightened the latches on the cockpit windows. That helped. Also, I thought about the wash down. I actually had about 2" of water in the cockpit -- I didn't clear the scuppers first -- duh! After that, I checked the cockpit lockers seals then cleaned them. I also, resealed the joint at the base of the pedestal.

I did all of that over a several week period. Since all of that, we've stayed dry in the aft berth. Hope that helped.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

Another potential source Is a crack at the starboard, aft scupper.  There was no fiberglass reinforcement in that area on my boat and it leaked; running aft on the wire chase, down the shelf and then underneath the mattress.  A good way to find leaks is have someone up top create a "rain shower" with hose while you are below looking for the leak.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jeff Tancock

I had many leaks when we first bought our boat. Without a doubt the toughest to find/fix was the leak that showed where yours does. I our case the leak got in aroung the outside of the opening aft cabin cockpit hatches(windows). The water would get in between the layers of glass the travel aft and come out of the layers of glass where the headliner or "ceiling " of the aft cabin and the aft wood bulhead meet. Removed and resealed the hatches. That fixed it. Good luck and let us know what happens!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Bob K

Dave,
I traced a similar leak to the starboard cockpit storage cubby in the cockpit coaming.   The seam between the cubby bottom and the coaming was not sealed properly and water drained down into the aft cabin.  It ran down along the edge of the  rear wood panel.   It was somewhat difficult to trace the leak, as it only leaked when the wind blew rain into the cubby!  Pour a cup of water into the cubby.  What doesn't drain out of the drain holes will end up in your cabin if this is the problem.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

David Arnold

Thanks all.  I will spend some time down below next weekend while someone is giving the whole cockpit area a soaking rain and see what turns up or should I say comes down.  Will advise when I know more.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

RV61

Dave,
A suggestion
As you are watering down the cockpit try do contain water to one suspect area at a time working from lowest point up, IE start at the pedistal base, then any holes you may have in pedistal guardfor electronics etc, then aft ports,  speakers  each locker, combing boxes on each side, any any accesorries you may have mounted on the side combing ,cock pit port locker and  aft locker this will give you a better chance of isolating the culprit or culprits as water tends to run many different places.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

ed webb

Dave
I narrowed mine down to the Auto helm. I covered it with a plastic bag and taped it off with painters tape. I did this about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a drop since. Now I have to reprogram the auto helm and apply about 5 pounds of caulk.

Ed Webb

jmnpe

You will also want to check the seal on the emergency tiller access cover. Water can drip down from there and will end up on the top of the aft water tank, then run out of the water tank shelf directly and stealthily under the cushions/mattress.

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

David Arnold

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions.  I "watered down" the cockpit this weekend and the leak was VERY EASY to find.  Turns out that the putty type caulking material used to seal around the head of the four bolts that sequre the pedistal base was the cause.  On one of the bolts there was a about a 1/8 inch  gap in the caulking allowing water to infiltrate into the aft cabin.  Problem solved!!!  While I have access to the steering linkage it's time to check and lubricate as necessary. 
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707