Projects done

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Hi all, would like to thank everyone for the good advice given on the board.  Over the last few days, I installed the glow plug solenoid upgrade, installed a mom switch, retorqued my keel bolts, put VC 17 on the boat using the mix it and transfer it to a dish soap bottle, used a 3" roller.  cleaned my rub rail with lacquer thinner.   Finished my galley shelf. put a hook in the v berth insert,  Next project a cockpit shower.  They guys in the boats next to me think I am a very knowledgeable fellow.  However, the secret is you guys.  Thanks a bunch.  Bob
PS:  has anyone put a better access door to the fuel tank shut off valve?  I have a access port to the valve under the cockpit locker, but what a pain to access it.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bobg on May 08, 2009, 10:07:41 AM
...has anyone put a better access door to the fuel tank shut off valve?  I have a access port to the valve under the cockpit locker, but what a pain to access it.

Glad we can help.

The two ways to do this are:

1.  Use Ron's idea of vice grips with covering on them to avoid hurting the fuel hose, and clamp them just before the Racor when changing filters.

2.  Buy a second shutoff valve and install it just ahead of the Racor.  I did this, although it's not installed yet! :D :D :D

It is a pain, but I've kept it for two reasons:  it's not that hard to get to and once or twice a year is not that high a price to pay; I get to clean out the danged port locker! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Braxton

I can just barely reach mine via the cabinet door under the sink in the head.   It may worth while doing some stretching exercises and trying to reach it from there.   
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Steve McGill

Braxton,

I am with you, I assume you are not height challenged.

I am 6' 4" with a 37" sleeve, I have no trouble reaching the shut off
for the fuel from under the head sink.

Clearing the boom in the cockpit is another story, I take the good with the bad.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Bob : Beside my clamps, I installed a fuel cutoff by screwing one into the inlet of the Racor.  It's a simple 90 degree lever.  Does the trick.  A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Bob,
I put a large (8x12) access hatch in the aft-cabin bulkhead that covers the fuel tank.  I happened to have one lying around (it's a long story...).  Made access very easy.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447