Chart Plotter Mount - Steve Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

I installed a new plotter.   We have a Garmin 500 series at the wheel.   The new 4000 series runs the radar.   I didn't want it permanently mounted in the cockpit, nor did I want it buried away down below.    So I had an arm fabricated to allow me to have it in the cockpit while we're sailing and swing it away below if we are ashore.   There are too many connections to simply pull it out like we do with the 500.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : Nice mount.

I believe that you'll see in this month's Mainsheet (May 09), the way I mounted Garmin 545 chart plotter.
Yesterday I just wired it so the GPS data is fed into a ICOM M422 VHF for DSC capability. 
I also didn't want mine to be permanently mounted.  Easy to make the Garmin basic connections, more difficult to get the GPS data to the ICOM, but not impossible to get all to make it connect/disconnect capable. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Steve, have you had any issues in not having a clear handhold on the port side companionway hand loop underneath the GPS?

Nice job.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Ron:

I have my 500 series mounted on the pedestal like yours.   The NEMA data goes both ways - your vessel position data to the radio for outbound calling and distress, also incoming calls can show up on your plotter with position data.   I have to replicate this in the 4000 plotter across the VHF and the SSB.   Oh and AIS data too.  The new one has a gazillion ports.

I'm keeping both plotters active.   The 520 has rich sounder data for fishing.  For the new one, I have a an Airmar NEMA 2000 "triducer".   This feeds water temp, boat speed, and depth data to the plotter on the NEMA bus.   Now I have complete rendunancy on all the critical data.   I'm not even bothering to replace the old dedicated depth and speed instruments - they're gone. 

I like the position of the new plotter.  We'll be able to maintain watch out of the weather under the dodger with the steering remote.   And of course we will be able to supply video feeds of radar and plotter data to the flat screen below and play display dvd's on the chart plotter up above.   I'm glad we're checking out of modern society for a while and getting rid of all the technological complexity.   

Stu:

The plotter itself doesn't interfere with anything.   I have one cable bundle that you can see I'm still struggling with.   I originally tried routing along the bracket, but it was too bulky.  Current positioning works great through the swing but blocks the handle.   I think I'm going to end up springing it with a bungy above the handle but more or less as it is.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat