Radar mount on mast vs post at stern

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I'm weighing the options of mounting the radar antenna on a pole mount at the stern rather than the mast. I see a equal number of boats at the marina with this configuration. This would solve my issue with the cable length not reaching the mast without buying an extension cable and splicing it. Installation and maintenance would be simpler. Some people have told me that the range is not affected as much as expected.

Have any of you dealt with this issue?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

waterdog

My rigger told me it's very difficult to get anyone to service a radar mounted on the mast.   I put it there anyway...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ken Juul

My original monochrome was mounted on the mast so I just kept it there despite needing the extender.  I find the stern gets awful crowded with the outboard, life sling, gps antenna, stern seats, fishing pole holders, Outboard lifts, etc.  On the narrow stern Mk1s not sure I would want to add to the crowd.  I have been told it is not a problem, but not so sure I want anything radiating that close to the cockpit either.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

We have to take our mast down at the end of every season. The radar is/was mounted on the mast. I just took it off this spring, because it causes more trouble during raising the mast than it is worth (don't need it where I sail right now, but it came with the boat). It gets in the way of the sling when raising or lowering the mast. The connections have to be unhooked and hooked up every time..Make one mistake, it doesn't work, and the mast make have to come down again to fix it.

The ideal position for the scanner is definitely midway up the mast, for maximum range, avoiding radiating the crew, and a stable platform. But if I put the radar back on I want it on a stern mounted mast for better maintainability and reliability. I would look for a reasonably tall one to get a decent range and avoid radiation.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Steve Sayian

Mike,

Mine is on the stern on a high mast.  It's attached to the stern rail for stability and works very well.  I get good range and it's high enough that I'm way below the "negative look-down" angle of the array.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ken Juul

Steve you MkII owners have so much more room.  You have a nice out of the way installation.  To compare here is a Mk1-1.5 stern, add stern perch seats that push everything else toward the gate and things get tight quick.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

Ken,

Agree.  Just wanted to pass along an alternative installation.

I have a friend in Halifax, Nova Scotia that bought an '87 C34 last year in New York and mounted his radar mast on the Port side aft between the vent cowl and the stern cleat.  He didn't have the stern seats but I can imagine that it would get cramped.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

tonywright

Steve

Can you tell us the make, model or height of your mast?  Have you previously posted any info on the installation?

Thanks

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Tony,
I have found out that the standard height for a radar post is 8 ft from the deck. Some are through deck mounts but the part that extends above the deck is 8 ft.

I'm also curious if the radar sees the mast as part of the display, being that the post is behind the mast.

Cost wise, it seems pretty equal because the cost of the radar post is about the same as the radar mount for the mast plus the extender cable plus rigger time.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Volk

I have a mK1.5 with the radar mounted on the stern with an 8' pole.  I have had no problems with the range.  Also mounted on the post below the radar is an emergency night time cockpit light that has an on/off switch mounted on the engine start panel. Above the radar mounted on the stainless ring is the GPS Rcvr. and a TV Antenna. The radar post also came with a dinghy motor lift that drops into supports mounted on the pole. When not in use the lift sits in the garage.  The post was situated on the starboard side so when the lift is on it brings up the motor at the proper spot where the motor mount sits on the port side.  (The motor mount is not on the stanchion in the picture).  Everything is outside stanchions.  The Garhauer people know all the Cat.34 models & supplied me with the proper hardware.  I also added an S shaped 1 1/4" guard to make it easier to run all the cable and to mount the display.

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ron Volk

Also another picture.

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Steve Sayian

Tony,

Everything was installed prior to me buying the boat so I don't have any information except Raymarine manuals.

I can measure the mast height above deck this weekend when I launch.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Bob Kuba

Is there a minimum "safe height" that the radar dome should be mounted?
I'm thinking health and safety issues.

But if you notice on a lot of powerboats the dome is mounted fairly low just due to design considerations of the boat itself. So I can't imagine there would be much of hazard? But judging from my experience with the powerboaters that I've come across, it would seem to explain a few behavioral issues...
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Steve Sayian

that's why it's mounted low...to thin the herd.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ken Juul

Since my first reply I spent some time researching.  The average radar beam extends about 20 degrees either side of the horizontal.  So if the height of the radar antenna is 9 feet above the cockpit deck, a 6 ft person would start getting hit by the beam 8.2 feet forward of the antenna post.  So going into the cabin is probably safe but stepping on the side deck going forward exposes the person.

An additional bit.  The optimum height above the water is to place the radom is 16'.  Higher will give you farther distances, but you loose in close coverage.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA