Ooops. Shackle stud goes overboard!

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Tancock

I am still functioning with the Hood LD 915 furling system that came with my 1988 C34. You may have guessed. A critical little bit of a shackle stud escaped overboard while I was putting on my headsail in a rush. I am having a bit of an issue finding one locally. Any suggestions for those with experience. It is shown as part no. 5993-001 ("Shackle Stud and bushing on the halyard swivel assembly"). Thanks! :cry4`
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Bob K

Jeff,
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. I called Hood and they sent (sold) me a replacement.  They were quite familiar with the part!  If I recall correctly, it was not too expensive (maybe $15), and they shipped it quickly.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Jeff : Guess it doesn't do any good to tell you that I've got 2 or 3 at home you can have.  Trouble is I'm on the boat and don't plan on going back home for awhile. 
Send me your address Incase I do go home and I'll send you one. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Tancock

That would be great Ron. I am in a bit of a hurry though. I am debating hiring a diver to go after it if I can't find one in a reasonable time. I will PM you my address regardless.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ted Pounds

Jeff,
I'll bet it was the stud that connects to the halyard on the top of the swivel.    I almost lost mine twice, but it stayed on deck both times.  What I finally did was to drill a small hole in the side of the swivel, just below the stud.  Then I inserted a small SS bolt and nut in the hole.  The bolt sticks out so as to prevent the stud from slipping out.  Works like a charm...    :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jeff Tancock

Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ken Heyman

clever idea Ted---I'm investigating injecting flotation into the stud so I can watch it float away. I have also come perilously close to losing these overboard along with mast track stops that I fail to attach a tether to.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il