VHF Wham Mic wireless vs wired

Previous topic - Next topic

RV61

Looking for view points of Wham Mic Wireless vs hard wired. I need more distance coverage than my hand held will give me at the helm. Wanted to see opinions on wireless vs hard wired to VHF  in particular transmission and receiving clarity differences. So what do you think?  Due to space constraints I do not want to relocate VHF to the helm from the Nav station. Will be changing out current VHF as my older model will not accept a wham Mic. Make and model input also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Craig Illman

Rick - I have a Uniden UM525 plus a WHAMx4 wireless mike. The audio clarity seems fine to me. They can also be used with an optional VOX headset which I haven't tried yet. They also have an intercom mode. The battery life isn't great, I'd say about seven hours before charging. I put a 12V adapter into the coming under the winch to allow me to put the charger out in the cockpit. I also have an external speaker tucked in there too. There's a slight lag to the wireless speaker.

Craig

Terry Forshier

I also have the Uniden set up wityh the Wham mic. It works well. Only complaint is the batteries only last a few hours not all day if left on at the helm. Terry

Stu Jackson

Quote from: RV61 on May 11, 2009, 12:58:10 PM
I need more distance coverage than my hand held will give me at the helm.

Rick,

One question. 

Where do you or others sail that requires that "additional" coverage?  I have been following these discussions for many years and want to learn more about where weekend sailors need this extended coverage.  Perhaps I am completely mistaken in that assumption and more "offshore" issues are involved.

Hope you can fill in the gaps. 

Thanks,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I've heard a lot of good things about the Uniden wireless ram mike and I'm planning to get one eventually. One thought about the short charge time is that if you have a cockpit speaker you could turn off the mike when not used. The mike is waterproof and it floats so in a worse case scenario, if you fell overboard you could call for help until you got out of range. It also has full radio functionality including DSC and you are not limited by the cord, you can use it anywhere on the boat, you don't have to worry about running a new wire and the price is less than most of the wired ram mikes.

It gets my vote (if that counts for anything)   :thumb:
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

RV61

thanks all for the feedback thus far.

Stu,
We sail in the primarily the western half of Lake Erie both US and Canadian side. We have many island choices such as the  Put In Bay (Key west of Ohio) on south Bass
6 or 7 miles away, Peelee Island Canada around 15 miles, Kellys Island Ohio 5 miles
or canadian mainland Leamington Ontario 34 miles and several others even further. We usually leave home dock for long  weekends out.
One of these days will go up Detriot river thru lake Huron to the north channel as well as other Great lakes. The plan is entire summer of Great Lakes cruising the first year of retirement.

The two handhelds  I have had seem to do fine within a few miles however on many occasions friends have tried hailing me when I am out 4 miles or more and unless someone is below we do not hear them. I also seem to get alot of noise out handheld and the VHF below is no problem. 
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

tonywright

I have remote mike/speaker at the helm. No battery issues, and no distance issues. The wiring runs from the radio at the nav panel up through the pedestal.  I supect that a wireless unit would never be where I needed it to be when a call came in.

Mostly when I need to respond/use the radio I am at the helm. Rarely need to use it when below. I have a handheld VHF for backup and when going ashore in the dinghy.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

RV61

To All
Thanks for the pros and cons on this issue. The verdict is in for me I am going to go wired as the battery life between charges is a concern as well as when I really need it the charge will be gone or I will have set it some where I can get to quick like the TV remote at home.

In my research I found two online retailers with great pricing on Standard Horizon radios [www.anchorexpress.com ]and [www.marine-electronics-unlimited.com].
WM did match the price.

Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie