Midship cleat PHOTOS / Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

Craig,

I agree that you have the better looking alternative.  I think I may just decide to copy you, since it would cut down on the stubbed toes.  Do you feel the cleat is strong enough?

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Rick Johnson on April 30, 2009, 08:18:14 PMLooks to be about the same place that Catalina installs optional midship cleats on a 34 MkII.  Great minds do think alike!

Looks like it only took almost ten years to convince the factory to do the right thing. :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Rick - It seems more substantial than a track mounted cleat. It's pretty hefty, one half inch mounting bolts. I don't recall the size of the pivot shaft, I'd guess either 5/16 or 3/8".

Craig

Brad Young

I know this is an old topic. However,

Can you place the cleat on the rail instead of the deck?

Thanks
brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Sure, but it'd be a real bear to access.  That's why folks have put them where they have and why sticking one on the track on both sides of the boat is sooooo easy.   :D

Some have mentioned here that the track is too far back.  I simply don't agree, in use as a midships spring line, since the line goes aft and works well to use to dock, especially single handed.  OTOH, having one cleat really AT midships would work for being docked and having a forward and aft spring line when you've finally settled in at the dock with your breast lines.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Brad Young

Thank Stu,

I have a set on the T rail. They do work well.  However I busted my toe  on that cleat, coming back to the boat after visting my local bar. So I am moving it. I am not sure where I am going to put the Genoa lead car, if I stub my toe on that :)
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Brad, I hear ya.  I never go on deck without shoes on anymore.  Between the fairlead car and the cleat, which are essentially in the same position per my photo on page one of this topic, my toe gets whacked almost every time.  I think it has something to do with the "standard stride of male humans" and the distance between stepping out of the cockpit and going forward.  Somehow, I manage to miss it coming back aft.  Go figger... 8)  You'd think I'd remember it was there, wouldn't ya?  I anchor out a lot so going forward and coming back is done quite often.  It's easier for me to wear shoes all the time because of our climate here.