Fresh Water Inspection Port Lid??

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerCurt

I recently purchased a 1988 C34 and the starboard fresh water tank is missing the inspection port lid.  Where can I buy just the lid?  I think the port is 4 or 4.5 inches.  Is this a standard part?  I can't find it on the Catalina Direct site.  Thanks!!

Ron Hill

Sawyer : The 4" starboard tank plastic "cleanout" lid can be purchased at any store that has plumbing parts.  When you install the new one put some "pipe dope" on the threads so the water can't leak out. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Uh Oh :shock: :shock:

I don't have one on my STBD fresh water tank either.  Not even a hole.  Was a cleanout/inspection hole standard when built?  Can I cut one into my tank now?  or should I?  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Kevin : I would not recommend that anyone cut a hole in your "plastic" water tank, unless you can "hot air weld" the female fitting in place. Caulk will NOT do the job

I can't tell anyone when the tank maker for Catalina started to put those cleanout plugs in the tanks.  My 1988 has one. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Thanks Ron... It looks as though mine should have had one but for some reason the PO had replaced it.  My hull # 791... yours is #788.
Is this something I should be concerned about? or should it be fine?
Any thoughts welcomed.  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

I have no idea whether or not we have one.  I haven't ever felt a need for one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

My 87 has a clean out in it.  don't ever intend on opening it.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

TonyP

I am fairly confident our 91 does not have one. I will look next time at the boat.
cheers
Tony

OK so I had to go look and we do have one ... sorry
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ron Hill

Guys : It sounds as thought replacement tanks may not have a cleanout port.

Anyway I have one and haven't opened it for the past 10? years.  If you don't have one - don't sweat it!!

I found that filtering the water when I fill the tanks keeps any debris and/or sand out of the tank so I don't have to use the starboard side tank cleanout.

If the aft tank has one? - I can't get at it anyway!!  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Fred Koehlmann

Our Mk II (2002 vintage) has a clean out on the forward water tank, which was very useful for mechanically (manually) cleanning out the tank with a scrub brush. When we acquired the boat in 2011, we found it full of algea and other growths. Just bleaching the water wasn't enought to remove the stuff. This winter I replaced all the water filler hoses and the forward one was also loaded with crap. So our foward tank seems nice and clean now.

The aft tank does not have a clean out, and as Ron mentions, I'm not sure how I would easily get to it. That said, when I replaced the aft water filler hose, I found if I manouvered in a certain way I could actually completely disappear into the aft starboard locker. It's just the space between the top of the tank and the underside of the cockpit floor is only a few inches. Tough to get you arm and elbow into!

We also installed a water filter (carbon filtered) onto the end of the faucet at the galley.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Solstice

Thought I would add an FYI to this--Catalina is not putting inspection ports in their new boats' water tanks. I had them on my 320 and would occassionally use them for clean out. Always had to make sure they were not leaking because as you fill the tanks, air doesn't vent as fast as the water coming in and tends to create a bulge...so I'm glad I don't have that to deal with.

Now my dilemma is how to do the annual sanitization process (using Peggie's recipe) without burning out my water pump  :?

Ralph Masters

On my 87 MkI the aft tank sits higher then the forward tank so when I open both water tank valves the water runs down and fills the forward tank from aft.  I never have to fill the forward tank from the topside fill cover.  And there is a slight bulge in the forward tank top as well.  On my "to do" list is to replace ALL water hose, fill, vent, and service hose to and from the pump.  But that's far down on the list.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Bobg

I take it we are talking about the threaded cover on top of the tank,  one time while filling the tank, the cover blew off with a resounding boom, scared everyone down below, however, I do use it for cleaning the tank,  and its nice to have it to look in once in awhile, not sure why some don't want to look in there if they have one, unless its a heeling while sailing thing and water could leak out.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands