Fresh Water Pump Diagnostics

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

The freshwater pump on Breezer has started taking longer and longer to shut off after use.  In addition, the water pressure seems to be getting lower and lower.  The source of the problem could be the pump pressure switch, the diaphram/valve assembly, or a leak.  Any tips on diagnosing the cause?  If it was a faulty pressure switch or a leak, the pump would never shut off, so I'm thinking it must be the diaphram/valve assembly.  Any comments?

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

amoreau

Hi,  Believe it or not,  my pump just about stopped pumping water but was still running.  I thought for sure it was dying.  It turned out to be some crud from the water tanks had clogged the screen on the sink airator.  The filter on the pump was in pretty bad shape also.  The pump use to cycle off and on before, now it doesn't.  Must of been all related.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

dsavary

You should have a Shurflo model 2088 at 3.3 gal/min. This came with your model and age boat. Given the age and use if this is the orginal pump I would replace the pump for under $150 rather than rebuild. However, you should check the input side to make sure the screen or filter (if one was installed) is not restricting the flow of water into the pump. The next check would be to disconnect the output hose and plug it after the sink faucet and before the water heater. With no leaks can you hold pressure. Using a pressure gauge you should be getting between 40 to 45 lbs. If the pump still cycles then its the pump (assuming no input retrictions) if the cycling stops then you have a leak down stream. Most common is water freazing over the winter in a fixture, transom shower system. You could also have a kink in a hose. Good luck

dpenz

I agree with the other comments.  On my boat the water pump running longer is a sure sign that I need to top up the tanks.  If they are very low, the pump may not shut off.  Also check to make sure the tank valves are open fully.  Lower tank level, partially closed valve, or clogged suction strainer would all have the effect of making the pump work harder.  A leak on the pressure side should make itself known.

mvazmina

I had the same problem and it ended up being the water heater. With the age of the boat has it been replaced? Is there more water in the bilge than normal? Mine had pinhole leaks and had to be replaced.

Mike Smith

I hooked up a pressure meter to the output nozzel and it read 41 psi, but did not turn off - so it was the pressure sensor, not a leak.  I removed the pump and found all the upper housing long screws had seized - so I returned the re-build parts to Boat/US and picked up a new pump.  Installed it, turned on the water, and everything worked fine, plenty of pressure, the pump is almost silent, and it turns off immediately.  Thanks to all!  If you replace the pump, keep the 90 degree input/output barbs from the old pump - the new pump comes with straight barbs only, making installation difficult if you don't have much room down there.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Mike Smith

Thanks Ron -

Its a Shurflo 3.3 -I'll check the parts no. for the filter.  I  never throw anything reusable away so I'll probably rebuild and find a use for the old pump.  We anchored out the whole Memorial day weekend and had plenty of pressure for the cockpit shower, et. al.  Pump is almost silent in operation and only cycles when necessary.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com