Sherwood pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Niles

I have a Sherwood raw water pump on my universal M35- a cruel trick in engineering by putting the bolts on the back side. Has anyone drilled out the
impeller housing so that it could be through bolted? . It would make a world of difference in impeller replacement if this worked.

Thanks,
Rick Niles
Gentle Storm 1294

Jentine

Rick, That is not necessary.  I have changed the impeller several times and the reversed bolts create no difficulty.  The total change time is about 10 minutes.
Jim Kane

bjmansfield

Rick,
The one (and only) time I changed the impellor in the M35 Sherwood pump was in the middle of July anchored off the Corpus Christi ship channel in a heavy chop.  Fun it was not.
When the pump housing started leaking a few months later, I replaced it with the Oberdorfer which has a screw-on face plate.  The Oberdorfer is a much simpler design and much less expensive than the Sherwood.
Jack Mansfield
C34 # 1169
Port Aransas, TX

dsavary

You should have a Shurflo model 2088 at 3.3 gal/min. This came with your model and age boat. Given the age and use if this and if this is the orginal pump I would replace the pump for under $150 rather than rebuild. However, you should check the input side to make sure the screen or filter (if one was installed) is not restricting the flow of water into the pump. The next check would be to disconnect the output hose and plug it after the sink faucet and before the water heater.  With no leaks can you hold pressure.  Using a pressure gauge you should be getting between 40 to 45 lbs. If the pump still cycles then its the pump (assuming no input retrictions) if the cycling stops then you have a leak down stream.  Most common is water freazing over the winter in a fixture, transom shower system. You could also have a kink in a hose. Good luck

c34member

I posted a gripe when I first bought my C-34.  Who in h*ll came up with that arrangement?  Since then I have cooled somewhat; mostly because I found an 11mm box-end wrench that has the handle offset slightly (tipped away, not to the side).  It makes the job annoying but possible.  Beter measure the size first, I may be wrong about the 11mm (I'm at work and my mind freezes-up here).  I've actually gotten pretty fast.  I replaced one in about two minutes this spring when I cooked it while still in the sling - yes, the boat was in the water.  Had an air lock.  Use that little bleed valve.

captran

does anyone have the exact model number and recommendations for where to buy one.  I too would like to go to the obendorfer, just for ease of checking the impellor.  I have a M 35 -1997 catalina 34?

jrupinsk

Charlie,

Where's that little bleed plug?

I had changed the impeller in the Sherwood last year and put the paper gasket in the wrong place.  It would not pickup water until I took it all apart and removed the paper gasket, works fine ever since.

rbeecham

I replaced my impeller for the first time on my 99 C34 last week.  Other than I had the wrong replacement, things went rather well.  I removed the front of the engine compartment and removed the two water hoses as I also replaced the fan belt.

It is a strange arrangement, not user friendly, but servicable.

Dick Beecham

Refuge
C34 - #1430
Rock Hall, MD

bjmansfield

I used the Oberdorfer 202M-15.  I Don't know anything about this place per prices, etc but some good info on the pumps at this site:

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/pumps/ENGINES/UNIVERSAL.HTM

Jack Mansfield
C34 # 1169

Roc

I've changed my impeller twice.  I didn't remove the two hoses that are on the cover.  I just removed the three screws and worked the cover off.  You can pull it far enough to get in there to remove old/install new impeller, o-ring and gasket.  What I do is use a wire tie around the new impeller to bend the vanes in the correct direction (look at the old one before removing).  I slip it about half way in, then cut the wire tie.  According to the Universal directions, only finger tight the three screws, start the engine so things line up by themselves, then tighten with a wrench.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ed Shankle

There's an expression about the right tool that eludes me right now, but I think you get my drift.
I too gnashed my teeth over the reverse screws, but ultimately found the closed end box wrench with the offset the right tool. Now it's only a few minutes to change over.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA