Used Performance Sails Wanted Main, Spinnaker, Genoa

Previous topic - Next topic

ellispe

Fellow Cat 34 Owners,

So I finally got out for my first race on my Catalina 34 2005.  The local yacht club holds PHRF races each week, so we paid our five bucks and off to the races we went.  When we got to the starting line there many boats with crews dressed in brightly colored team outfits, big sails with lots of fancy stripes.  Theses guys looked like they had done this before.

The gun went off and we were racing. We did well at the start but soon faded off into the distant rear.  My small evil roller furling main sail was not match for the sea of Mylar/Kevlar/Tape sails that were passing us by.  Even the Cal 20's were beeting us. When we came around the first mark we managed to fly my old spinnaker from my Catalina 30 with no pole, 1 sheet and a few dock lines.  

An hour later the race was over and while we all had a great time, we rolled into the club dead last.  I decided that if I want to do better in the races, I think I would have to fly a traditional full baton main on my alternate non-furling sail track.

So my question to my fellow Catalina 34 owners is, what kind of sail will work the best to make my boat go fast ?.

My second question is, does anyone have any used performance main sails, big genoas or spinnakers that they may want to sell.  I sail out of Southern California and the average wind is about 6 to 8 knots.

Anything else you could recommend to help me go fast would be appreciated as well.

Many Thanks

Peter

Ellis ISland II
Hull 1722

Kyle Ewing

Last season was my first season of Wednesday night beer can races on my 1990 C34 and I learned a few things about making the boat go faster (in no particular order):

1.  Bottom condition is critical.  There's a reason some people have a diver clean their hulls weekly.  It makes a huge difference.  I noticed it immediately the first time I had the bottom cleaned.
2.  The Catalina 34 doesn't like light air.  Upwind is okay as I feel competitive.  Downwind is very slow, both with jib and main or cruising spinnaker (I don't have a symmetrical spinnaker).  Hopefully I just haven't figured out how to make her move down wind.
3.  The genoa provides the power.  I asked my sailmaker which was the better sail to replace if I could replace one and he told me the head sail as it provides the power.
4.  You can almost always make the boat go faster if you try.  When cruising I don't have another boat to benchmark performance.  If I'm getting passed I want to go faster and can usually find some tweak to improve boat speed.
5.  Improved running rigging can improve sail shape.  I replaced my main halyard with low stretch before replacing my old main sail and noticed better sail shape on the old sail.
6.  Practice!  We were very slow the first time and learned something new each time out.

What's your PHRF rating and how did you finish when corrected?  Were your problems with pointing, boat speed, or both?

Boat performance is a huge topic and covers everything from equipment (including sails, prop, bottom condition, running rigging, etc), sail trim, rigging adjustment, weight, tactics, etc.  I'm still learning and am interested in what others say.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Chicago

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Steve Sayian

I replaced the 3-blade Michigan prop with the Kiwi 3-blade feathering prop.
Made a tremendous difference in light air sailing.  The boat will actually 'ghost' now. 
In 6 knots of wind, I can do about 3-3.5 knots, when before I was below 2.  That's with the stock 135% Genoa.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

ellispe

Thanks for the tip I just ordered a Folding Prop. I will need to sell blood for a few years to pay for it.

I am looking to purchase a good performance  main with batons, a spinnaker and perhaps a 155 % Genoa. If you know anyone who has any drop them my contact info. Any help would be appreciated.
I can be reached at peter.ellis@ngc.com or via phone 310-376-8097.

Many Many Thanks

Peter