Starting Battery Location

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi folks..
Thinking about areas where the starting battery would go (group 24).  The area that looks to be ideal would be in the hanging locker, just forward of the Nav Table.  It's vented (louvre doors), easy to check the battery, and wiring modifications would be easy. A GP 24 battery box fits perfectly.  I have sliding shelves installed in that area, and the box would take up the wasted space near the floor.  One issue I thought of is the fact that the area is connected to the hull interior that houses the electrical panel.  I'm thinking about the breakers being sources of ignition from the battery gasses that could migrate throughout that area. 

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

sailaway

Roc
  I am installing a battery in my port locker in the cockpit. I just ran two  number 2AWG wires down to the engine. I had to take the aft cabin panel off. But it is a very short distance 8 to 10 feet of wire.  Right now I am going to have it a stand alone system with only the alternator to charge.  I may connect to the house bank latter. Charlie

Ken Juul

Several threads about this.  Common theme seems to be short wire runs.  Another thought is ease of service, unless you go AGM, easy access to check the water level is critical.  I chose under the aft berth, not the easest access, but do-able with minimun rearrangement.  I am basically doing Jim Moe's battery wiring upgrade, you can find it in the electrical section of the knowledge wiki.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hawk

The PO put a Davidson 4D reserve battery under the aft cabin. He glassed in and built a secure box that holds the battery with securing straps. Its out of the way, close to the engine and easy to check the water (after removing the cushions...oh ya and my new beech wood slat support system). At least it doesn't take up precious space in a locker..............might be something that works for you.
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Roc

I like the area I describe in my post; in the hanging locker next to the Nav Station.  My question is....do you think it would be hazardous to have the battery in the nearby area to the electrical panel (battery gas...breakers....sparks?).  I would like to get comments on that area since I believe it has many merits.  It was my original plan until I realized today the proximity to the electrical panel.  The electrical panel does have a bulkhead barrier to the area, but there are holes that let the wires through and it's those openings that could let battery fumes enter.  Maybe I'm thinking too much, but want to cover all the bases....

Thanks

Michael Shaner

Roc, the PO installed my starting battery there...to be honest, I've been considering relocating it.

I'm thinking starboard of the centerline sounds appealing, be it fore or aft of the hanging locker, but I'm a MK1 owner...got that port list you know...

Michael & Alison Shaner

Mike Vaccaro

Roc,

Lot's of choices, but Ken's spot on--it's really about the wiring.  Close to the engine means short, stout wiring.  Further away means longer, stouter wiring (which can get expensive).  Lots of battery options, but AGM is best for "out of sight, out of mind."  Our AGM is adjacent to the muffler/shaft log and is accessable through the aft bunk.  Another option would be a small Odyssey battery.  Their aviation batteries are sufficient for starting, small and light weight.  You can learn more here:  http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ .  A dedicated starting battery and glo-plug selonoid is a potent mod for improving overall starting performance.   

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Roc

Thanks, I do understand about the short runs. But I just wanted to get thoughts on having it near other electrical items.  The area I'm talking about (in the hanging locker) is the same area that the back of my AM/FM radio is along with VHF, GCFI outlet and tank gauge.  Don't know if these things can cause a hazard with battery gassing, being they are in the same area.  I already bought a Grp 24 battery at WM.  They had a great price on batteries a couple weeks ago.

Stu Jackson

Roc, there's more ventilation in your proposed location than there is in the battery box itself!  If you have it enclosed in a battery box with a lid, the small amount of fumes should not adversely affect your other equipment.  Even without a lid, you should be OK.  The reserve bank is almost always fully charged, so there's not the same amount of potential gassing one would expect from a house bank.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Thanks Stu, I just wanted to bounce it off a few people. Yes, the ventilation there is great with the louvre doors.  If anyone has any pros or cons about this installation, would like to hear from you.

Thanks!  :D

Stu Jackson

Roc, it might help if you told us what you have NOW - just two batteries in the normal box?  Assume they're wired as 1 and 2 from the OEM installation?  Your idea sounds fine, now we get to play games with your "wiring diagram!"   :D  The only downside is that you're gonna have to address the wire routing issues from that location.  My hanging locker is essentially sealed, doesn't drain to the bilge, all I have running through it are the head outlet hoses and the head pump antisiphon loop.  Don't quite know how you get from there to the starter.  Other options that I've heard of are in front of the starboard water tank, forward underneath the U shaped settee (where mine are) and aft as previously noted.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Stu,
My MkII is a bit different than what you describe a MkI to be.  I don't have a starboard water tank for example.  My current battery set up is OEM.  (2) 4D's under the dinette settee (aft of the table), in front of the galley sink.  The batteries are right next to the hot water heater.  Granted, that area is not well ventilated, but does lead into the bilge.  It has the electrical connections of the water heater right next to the batteries and to the other side of the galley sink bulkhead is the battery charger, with a large opening running the wires to were the batteries are, so the electrical items nearby have an open access to whatever gassing the batteries could emit.  I guess CY didn't think there was a gassing issue with the batteries near these electrical connections.

It also sounds like my hanging locker forward of the Nav table (which is on the port side) has different things running through it as compared to a MkI.  It does have access to the bilge.  I feel putting a starting battery there actually facilitates wiring.  In my current set up, the 1-2-All-off switch and the engine on-off switch are right there, so all wiring runs past that area.  By putting the starting battery there actually decreases the distance as compared to the current set up, because right now, the power to the starter goes through that engine switch while the batteries supplying the power to the switch are on the starboard side.  So I would be cutting distance out of the equation in using that space for the starting battery.

I plan on using Jim Moe's wiring diagram since it would seem to be an easy changeover to what I currently have.  I purchased an Echo Charger and a 100 amp alternator.

Hope this explains my current situation, and you can envision the set up I am thinking about.

Thanks..