Transmission Fluid

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I've read the previous threads on the topic but wonder whether warming up the engine will heat the fluid somewhat and assists in removing more of the old transmission fluid.........or not?
If so, I'll try it next time.

Thanks,
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

prh77

It would not hurt to warm up the engine and tranny, but ATF is relatively low viscosity so it drains pretty well cold.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Stu Jackson

It's unnecessary for the transmission fluid, which is much "thinner" than even 10W30 motor oil.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Tom : Don't worry as the TM fluid is really thin. 
Also suck it out the top rather than draining it thur the drain plug underneath - unless you have a NEW (one time use) crush washer for that drain plug.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Thanks guys.....and Ron after reading the earlier threads I'd never mess with that underneath drain plug.
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Bob Kuba

If I recall correctly, the last time I did it, I used a turkey baster to draw the fluid out.
What ever you do, don't tell the Admiral. Just replace it quietly and discreetly.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Roc

I found it easy to drain the trans fluid from the bottom drain plug.  I get a thick aluminum roaster tray from the dollar store.  I bend and form it under the transmission.  I take the bolt out and the fluid drains into the formed roaster tray.  I then take a baster and suck it out of the tray and into a bottle for disposal.  Not much fluid is in there so there isn't much that comes out.  I like to drain it from the bottom to get most of it out and any solid contaminants along with it.  I also have a stock of spare compressible washers to reinstall.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Michael Shaner

Roc,

I just did the turkey baster thing and thought it was for the birds. Next go 'round, I'm trying your method.
Michael & Alison Shaner